Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, You Could Still Get Pregnant If...

This thread is here to dispel common misconceptions about female fertility.

It was inspired by 46 year old aunt and 55 year old uncle who 16 years ago had their second child because they didn't think you could get pregnant while breastfeeding and just now had their first abortion because they did not think you could get pregnant naturally at 46.

Please add your own!

Yes, you can still get pregnant if...

...you are breastfeeding.
    It is true that under evolutionarily natural circumstances, female fertility is likely to be completely gone during breastfeeding. However, the pattern of breastfeeding in industrialised nations and our predilection for excessive calories means that our bodies are more than prepared to both feed a baby and stay fertile.

...you think you are too old.
    The oldest woman known to have conceived naturally was 57. If you have fallopian tubes, a uterus, and didn't enter menopause a good long while ago, you can still get pregnant.

...you just finished your period.
    Most women don't have "perfect" cycles and sperm can survive for a few days in the right circumstances. If you're going to use natural family planning to keep from staying pregnant, you need to track your fertility daily. It involves getting up the same time daily to take your temperature, and doing regular self-examinations and keeping diaries of vaginal mucus status. Or buying an expensive pee-on-a-stick machine that tells you if you're fertile today or not. Even then, it might fail.

Re: Yes, You Could Still Get Pregnant If...

You can get pregnant without a vagina.

Seriously though...
    I don't have any more in particular besides relating to the breastfeeding and would say that YES, you can get pregnant soon after giving birth.

I would also suggest that women educate themselves about things that interfere (or are thought to possibly interfere) with the effectiveness of the contraceptive pill for example some antibiotics, diarrhea/vomiting, poor sleep habits etc. These are largely unsubstantiated but I don't see the point in being complacent...it's best to use extra protection!

Comment

Now this is interesting. On a different forum, I run an informal sex advice column for very young teens, and I just spent hours worth of posts trying to explain to a girl that if you have unprotected sex, having a really hot bath and washing really well is not going to stop you from getting pregnant.

The number of what I would think to be obviously stupid rumours that are believed is shocking. Girls really think you can't get pregnant if you bathe, do it standing up, or douche afterwards.

Comment

YES! You can still get pregnant if....

He pulls out. There can be small amounts of sperm in precum, which can come out at any time during sex.

You period is irregular. Some women don't menstruate regularly. This can be due to hormonal issues, excessive weight, being excessively underweight, medical conditions, etc. But you CAN ovulate at any time, and having an irregular period makes it even more difficult to predict when that will be.

He is wearing a condom. Condoms can break with excessive friction. Using lube with a condom is a good idea. Also, if after he ejaculates he stays inside until he is soft, the condom can slip off or even just loosen and the cum can fall out.
        29/female/Toronto
        I'm so cool I've got my OWN SMILEY!!

English. It's your language. Learn to type it.

Comment

YES you can still get pregnant if...

You're ON THE PILL! If you mess it up, don't take it regularly, or are otherwise irresponsible with it, you reduce it's effectiveness and can get pregnant. You can ALSO get pregnant if you DO take it regularly/responsibly and are on an antibiotic. Many antibiotics can change the effectiveness of the pill - check with your Doctor/Pharmacist if you're worried!

He doesn't cum See above, re: Precum. There can still be amounts, and you can still get pregnant if you have unprotected sex and he does not finish.
          "It's really not so good to have time. Rush, scramble, desperation, this missed, that left behind, those others too big to fit into such a small space-- that's the way life was meant to be. You're supposed to be too late for some things. Don't worry about it."
          -The Skull, The Last Unicorn

Comment

And on the lighter side:

Why is it that the people who most aggressively push "abstinence" as the only acceptable birth control method, are the same people who believe in virgin births?
            %0|%0

Comment

Originally posted by Kuky View Post
              And on the lighter side:

Why is it that the people who most aggressively push "abstinence" as the only acceptable birth control method, are the same people who believe in virgin births?
              Wasn't it just the one?
              "Every action of our lives touches on some chord that will vibrate in eternity" ~ Edwin Hubbel Chapin

Comment

Originally posted by Brifflez View Post
                Holy crap! That's weird, how the heck does "spermatozoa gained access to the reproductive organs via the injured gastrointestinal tract"? Call me stupid, I remember learning that reproductive organs and digestive organs aren't connected in any way (beyond, perhaps, veins?). By that logic, a girl can get pregnant by swallowing cum. Or is it that because she was injured, the swimmers gained access from the outside of the uterus? I totally don't get how those swimmers found their way into her reproductive organs, and therefore egg in order to fertilize? Anyone care to clarify? Also, if she has no vagina, how does she get periods? How can she even be fertile. I find this story very confusing..

As for the original post: um, actually nothing to add.. you guys have covered anything I would have thought of off the top of my head.

Comment

the end of the fallopian tunes actually open up to the peritoneal cavity. I suppose it is minutely possible for sperm to get in the OTHER way... but I would go with "that's bullshit" in general. The odds are astronomical.
                  29/female/Toronto
                  I'm so cool I've got my OWN SMILEY!!

English. It's your language. Learn to type it.

Comment

Originally posted by Panda View Post
                    Wasn't it just the one?
                    Haha yeah, one more than I'll entertain
                    %0|%0

Comment

You can still get pregnant if you're on top.

You can still get pregnant if it's your first time. (thanks Glee for teaching young girls this!)

Really obvious to most of us, but some people have made jokes about the first one, and some people think that gravity prevents pregnancy if the woman is on top.

Comment

I'm so potent women can get knocked up looking at me.

Comment

^^^ lmao

Originally posted by Kuky View Post
                          And on the lighter side:

Yes but we that believe in the virgin birth of our Lord Jesus Christ also believe that was a miracle and that its not gonna happen to any or everybody...... Its why we have a huge holiday to celebrate the miracle of the virgin birth.... CHRISTMAS (YAY!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by Hollybear View Post
                            Yes but we that believe in the virgin birth of our Lord Jesus Christ also believe that was a miracle and that its not gonna happen to any or everybody...... Its why we have a huge holiday to celebrate the miracle of the virgin birth.... CHRISTMAS (YAY!!!)
                            It'd probably be more accurate to say that we celebrate Christmas because the Romans decided it'd make Christianity more palatable to the pagans if they mixed a few of their festivals with it, and then more recently because it's a good way for people to make money (this resulted in even more pagan elements being added, such as Christmas trees), but okay

Comment

haha I wasn't actualy expecting a serious counter-argument to my joke comment.
                              %0|%0

Comment

Working...
                              X