Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My parents are trying to seize control of my money, how should I handle this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My parents are trying to seize control of my money, how should I handle this?

Basically I want to get into a career as a film director, and have decided to make my own feature film after saving up a lot of money. But people think I am crazy for wanting to do this, and everyone is telling me absolutely not to.

But now since then, and now that I am closer to getting the ball rolling, the pressure for me to quit is so much higher, and I feel like everyone is just at my legs trying to pull me away. Even my parents think it's a huge mistake and waste of so much money as the movie will never sell. They think I have gone insane, and are trying to seize control of my savings, cause I am mentally unfit.

I understand they care and they mean well, but what can I do to get them to be more supportive. If I lose it all, then I am back to square one, but what can I do to make them see that it may be a necessary risk?

harmonica If your film making venture fails, will your parents financially support you? If they will, then they are protecting their finances because they don't want to feed and house you should your feature film not become income producing.

"If you bungle raising your children, whatever else you do well in life doesn't matter very much."

Comment

You can't make people be supportive.
      You can't make them see things your way.
      Your parents may be right and you'll end up broke, or they may be wrong and you're going to be making a huge profit.

Right now your parents are saying that you're not financially responsible. They probably fear that if this project fails, you'll end up relying on them for financial support. Prove them wrong by having a back up plan in place and reassure tham that you might invest but you'll never risk everything you have. And if they still won't support you, there's nothing else to do but take some distance from them and make your own life anyway.
      You can't control the waves, but you can learn to surf

Comment

By the sounds of it, you are prone to making very drastic life decisions often. Is this the case? It would explain why they are so heavily against it.

Comment

Originally posted by chanelle View Post
          harmonica If your film making venture fails, will your parents financially support you? If they will, then they are protecting their finances because they don't want to feed and house you should your feature film not become income producing.
          Oh no, I don' t expect them to financially support me if it fails, I would still support myself. As for making drastic decisions often, not really, I don't often do that and I wouldn't say I am prone to that at all, it's just I hate my career for the last dozen years and want to finally do something I like, job wise, in order to break into the industry I actually want to.

Comment

I'm getting the impression that you crave attention. I've never seen a person post so many posts in a forum. You must have allot of problems in your life.

Comment

What is the feature film about and what exactly is your plan? Do you have connections in the film industry? What experience do you have making a film? Have you interned or worked before in the film industry?

Comment

Originally posted by harmonica View Post

Oh no, I don' t expect them to financially support me if it fails, I would still support myself. As for making drastic decisions often, not really, I don't often do that and I wouldn't say I am prone to that at all, it's just I hate my career for the last dozen years and want to finally do something I like, job wise, in order to break into the industry I actually want to.
                harmonica It's your money and if it's in your name, then their seizing control of your money is illegal. Take it up with the bank or seek the counsel of an attorney.
                "If you bungle raising your children, whatever else you do well in life doesn't matter very much."

Comment

I've worked on other people's movies here and there, when I got opportunities and I went to film school. For example, right now, I got a job editing a movie, and I have done some short films of my own. The script is sort is about the police trying to catch a serial rapist/killer on the loose type of thriller story.

I'm not so much worried about them being successful at taking the money, it's just I am having a hard time dealing with the drama of it all.
                  Last edited by harmonica; November 28th, 2018, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazed & Confused View Post
                    I'm getting the impression that you crave attention. I've never seen a person post so many posts in a forum. You must have allot of problems in your life.
                    So what does that say about someone like me with close to 9000 posts, hmm?

Lol and you can talk, 400 posts in just over a month?
                    Try to be a little less judgemental

harmonica - have you got cast and crew? how far along do you make it before you quit? are you prone to giving up on ideas?
                    I don't agree that your parents can seize your finances at all, since you're presumably well over 30 (since you reference dozens of years of career)
                    PLEASE use PARAGRAPHS when you post, we’re more likely to read your post.
                    For more information on paragraphs please press your enter key whilst typing a post.

They're = They are (eg, They're not wearing any clothes!)
                    Their = Possessive (eg, Check out their boobies!)
                    There = locality (eg There is a naked chick in the water)
                    Your = Possessive (eg I can see your boobies through that wet t-shirt)
                    You're = You are (eg You're getting dressed? Damn...)

Comment

Originally posted by Oversharedude View Post

harmonica - have you got cast and crew? how far along do you make it before you quit? are you prone to giving up on ideas?
                      I don't agree that your parents can seize your finances at all, since you're presumably well over 30 (since you reference dozens of years of career)
                      You completely misunderstood what i meant. I didn't mean posts as in commenting. I meant as in posts (topic) that you submit for advice

Comment

Dazed & Confused Gotcha, yep I did misunderstand
                        It was just a tongue in cheek joke, sorry if that wasn't clear from my part
                        PLEASE use PARAGRAPHS when you post, we’re more likely to read your post.
                        For more information on paragraphs please press your enter key whilst typing a post.

They're = They are (eg, They're not wearing any clothes!)
                        Their = Possessive (eg, Check out their boobies!)
                        There = locality (eg There is a naked chick in the water)
                        Your = Possessive (eg I can see your boobies through that wet t-shirt)
                        You're = You are (eg You're getting dressed? Damn...)

Comment

Dazed & Confused Gotcha, yep I did misunderstand
                          It was just a tongue in cheek joke, sorry if that wasn't clear from my part
                          All is cool

Comment

Oh if I was posting too much, I did not mean to give off a bad impression.

I wouldn't say I am prone to giving up on ideas. I don't have a cast and crew yet cause I am busy with a couple of other short film projects at the moment, and was going to get started on the feature film after, but so far family and friends are really trying to talk me out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by harmonica View Post

Oh if I was posting too much, I did not mean to give off a bad impression.

I wouldn't say I am prone to giving up on ideas. I don't have a cast and crew yet cause I am busy with a couple of other short film projects at the moment, and was going to get started on the feature film after, but so far family and friends are really trying to talk me out of it.
                              Ignore me, was having a silly moment lol didn't mean for my comment to sound so judgmental. I can understand your family being concerned but at the end of the day its your decision. I'd say you have to at least try because you'll always wonder what could have been in the future.
                              Last edited by Dazed & Confused; November 29th, 2018, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X