X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CONTENT: How To Get Over Your Ex.

(read this thread first)

(that's right, I'm hijacking this thread --Kuky)

OK, eight, 'cause I can't count. So youíve been dumped. Your heart is broken, and youíre not sure if youíll ever get over it, but you know you need to. Hereís seven little tips to help you on your way.

1) Do NOT hang out with your ex. It will only make you want to get back with her more. Or itíll make you jealous, because she is with or likes someone other than you. Or itíll make you miserable because he/she seems perfectly happy, while you feel like your heart has been through a blender and served in mincemeat pie. The best way to avoid all these things is to also avoid your ex. Maybe someday you can be friends again, but until youíre OVER her, avoid her.

1a) And if he/she starts talking about getting back together, donít listen. At least give it a month or two Ė there must have been SOME reason you two broke up. You better make damn sure that you really want to get back together before you do. Otherwise you might just get dragged onto the same emotional roller coaster all over again. Making damn sure takes some time. Donít just think about it for a day, because your emotions, rather than your intelligence, will probably win out.

2) Think about the things that went WRONG in your relationship. No, donít tell me that your relationship was perfect. It wasnít. Maybe she yelled at you for checking out some girl when you werenít and wouldnít believe you. Maybe he kept telling you about how great sex with his ex was. Now, realize to yourself that these are things that you donít necessarily have to forgive because you ďlove them.Ē Get really mad, and realize you shouldnít have had to put up with this shit.

3) Talk with your friends (NOT her/his friends, or you may just end up with her/him yelling at you). Chances are, your friends probably didnít like something about your ex or you guys as a couple. Trust me, hearing your friends say, ďMan, you ex was such an asshole/spoiled bitch, last year I kept wanting to tell you to dump him/her. Iím glad you guys are broken up. Man, what a horrible personĒ makes you feel much much better.

4) Realize that if you were meant to be together, you WOULD be together. Do you really want to spend the rest of your life with someone who doesnít think youíre their type? You deserve someone who loves and wants YOU. If you are not what they are looking for, you guys probably have different values and expectations, and arenít an especially good match anyway.

5) Realize that you deserve better. You deserve a good match with someone who shares your values and wants you. You deserve someone who doesnít do pain in the ass things (see #2), who your friends like (#3), and who wants YOU (see #4). You donít have to settle for less than you deserve. You can have better.

6) Realize that you don't HAVE to be part of a couple to be a worthwhile person. You are wonderful all by yourself, thankyouverymuch, and you are quite capable of taking care of yourself. You don't need no stinkin' SO. You may want one, but you'll survive without one.

7) Realize that youíre single, and hence, FREE! No more getting dirty looks at parties when you dance with another girl, no more buying stupid flowers to apologize for something. Youíre FREEEEEEEE! (Fly like an eagle, to the sea!) You can go kiss whoever you want, stay out as late as you want, and do whatever you like without checking in with your SO. Want to go to the movies with a friend of the opposite sex? Fine! Want to flirt with that hot guy in your math class? Go for it! Donít want to go dancing at the club? You got it! Want to hang out at home wearing old dirty sweatpants watching a football game with the boys? Cool! You donít HAVE to dress up for anyone, because youíre free!

8) Develop a crush on someone else. Better yet, make out with someone else. This gives you something to think about other than your ex. Hey, there ARE other people of the opposite sex out there! And some of them may be more attractive than your ex. AND if you make out with them, itís a whole lot of fun, plus you can imagine them sitting all alone with their loser selves while you tap that ass.

Hopefully, somewhere along this road, youíll get over your ex. It may take a while. It may be painful. But you can do it. And of course, we at therfs are always here to help.
    Last edited by Kuky; September 16th, 2006, 04:04 PM. Reason: hijackage for content
    word to nyne, palmer, and my secret forum amor

I have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is;
    I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express
    sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat.

- Rebecca West, 1913

Preach! Preaaach my sister! Testify! Amen!

You pwn. You're in my list near the top of people who pwn. I fucking love it.

Also, make your ex hate you. If they still wanna be friends, say something along the lines of "I have tons of friends.", or "Yeah, you do need friends, you're a fucking loser.". Works wonders. If they are talking about getting back together and say something like "I'm dumb for dumping you.", just say "Yes, yes you are." and leave it at that.

And the fun begins. :)

Comment

Encouraging advice, ps_tiger. Good job. I think that #6 is especially important.
      'I have been one acquainted with the night.
      I have walked out in rain --and back in rain.
      I have outwalked the furthest city light.

~Robert Frost~
      I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going.. but I'm on my way.~Carl Sandburg~

Comment

sticky this sheeat! :P

And the fun begins. :)

Comment

Perfect! Bravo!

Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come. -Matt Groening

She walks in beauty, like the night / of cloudless climes and starry skies / and all thatís best of dark and bright / meet in her aspect and in her eyes Ė Byron.

Comment

Good stuff, stickied it shall be!

Make sure your victim for #8 isn't someone who has a crush on you or something, out of common courtesy

Comment

Originally posted by ps_tiger

Realize that if you were meant to be together, you WOULD be together.
              this is the most intense thing that i've prolly ever read on the net in my entire time of being on here.

startling, actually.

and it was exactly what i needed to hear.

thank you. *hugs her lesbian lover*
              I am All In.

Comment

Awww, what are lesbian lovers for?

*hugs*

- Rebecca West, 1913

Comment

Originally posted by *after8*@Feb 4 2004, 07:33 AM
                  this is the most intense thing that i've prolly ever read on the net in my entire time of being on here.

startling, actually.

and it was exactly what i needed to hear.

thank you. *hugs her lesbian lover*
                  It is just as true for you girls, as it is for us guys. I am going through a little " tiff " with my girlfriend right now. it is annoying but I doubt ( after some thought ) that it will end with us breaking up. Even though it still sucks...lol

I think the point is not if you break up, " you're not meant to be together ". I think it means that if you break up, try to work things out, but can't ( after some honest efforts ) THEN and only then are you " through ". This make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by FrankR@May 22 2004, 10:21 AM
                    I think the point is not if you break up, " you're not meant to be together ". I think it means that if you break up, try to work things out, but can't ( after some honest efforts ) THEN and only then are you " through ". This make sense?
                    Yes, in a way. I do think that trying to work things out is important, because sometimes relationships can end for stupid reasons. But on the other hand, if you break up and one or both of you is unwilling to make the honest effort to work things out, you're also not meant to be together. It takes both people to make a compromise and to work at a relationship.

- Rebecca West, 1913

Comment

Originally posted by Burro@Jan 12 2004, 06:19 PM
                      Also, make your ex hate you. If they still wanna be friends, say something along the lines of "I have tons of friends.", or "Yeah, you do need friends, you're a fucking loser.". Works wonders. If they are talking about getting back together and say something like "I'm dumb for dumping you.", just say "Yes, yes you are." and leave it at that.
                      hahaha, and I love THAT!

So while I'm taking you for granted
                      We'll be humming along...

Comment

the only thing i dont agree with in this thread is the word "easy" in the title...
                        我一定不會放開妳 因為是妳讓我相信愛 所以我終於明白了 這是愛

Comment

Heh for my public speaking class, I was given the topic "how to break up with your partner" as an entertaining (ie funny or whatever) impromptu speech (ie 10 minutes to prepare). I had fun giving all kinds of advice like "communication is NEVER key", "drop hints instead, like cheating", and "make sure you give lots of false hope, so they're on the back burner longer before asking for stuff back, so you have more time to sell their shit"

Comment

#1a is vital, in my opinion.

The bit about emotions winning out is TOO true.
                            When you've just broken up (ESPECIALLY if you were the dumpee), you feel like shit, and being with someone makes you feel good. It's hard to avoid.

#8 does help with it a lot though

But seriously... #1a is one of the most important items on that list.

If you get back together quickly., it's nothing more than a rebound, seriously.

The Cruxshadows kick serious ass, yo.

Comment

Weeeee! It's all so damn true.. the day you break up, you wouldn't think so.. but two or three months down the line... man, I never thought life could be this fun!

I don't know how you do it
                              I'm not sure how you know
                              The perfect thing to say
                              To save me from myself
                              You're the angel that believes in me
                              Like nobody else
                              And I thank God you do.

'Cause when I'm a bullet shot out of a gun
                              When I'm a firecracker commin' undone
                              And when I'm a fugitive ready to run
                              All wild eyed and crazy
                              No matter where my wreckless soul takes me