Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York recommendations?

Hey guys.

I'm off to NYC for the first time in a couple of weeks, to celebrate my 27th birthday

Just looking for some recommendations on bars, restaurants etc. if anyone has any?

I'll be doing all the obvious touristy shit as well, but if there's anything off the beaten track that's worth looking at, holla at your boy!

Cheers
    Just because someone's by your side, it doesn't mean they're on your side.

Do you have a hotel yet? If not, I can recommend a very reasonable one.

One thing we love to do is to take the subway over to Brooklyn (High St.) and then walk back to Manhattan over the Brooklyn Bridge. The views are fabulous.

If you want a real Italian experience, have lunch at Amici on Mulberry St. in Little Italy. It's like stepping back in time and the food is wonderful.

Are you into museums? I recommend that you stay away from the Museum of Natural History. It's lousy with school children every day.

Take the Staten Island Ferry from the tip of Manhattan over to Staten Island. It goes very close to the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island. Then take the ferry right back.

Let me know if you have any questions. I grew up outside of NYC.
    "What lips my lips have kissed and where and why I have forgotten." ~Edna St. Vincent Millay

Comment

You may be better served checking out a travel site like Trip Advisor. NY is so big it's hard to do it all. Pick your top choices & do those. Don't eat in an chain restaurant that is available at your local mall. There are so many better choices. Realize NY is a walking city so pack comfy footwear.

Comment

Originally posted by SarahLancaster View Post
        Do you have a hotel yet? If not, I can recommend a very reasonable one.
        Already sorted, cheers.

One thing we love to do is to take the subway over to Brooklyn (High St.) and then walk back to Manhattan over the Brooklyn Bridge. The views are fabulous.
        Will definitely do that!

If you want a real Italian experience, have lunch at Amici on Mulberry St. in Little Italy. It's like stepping back in time and the food is wonderful.
        Sounds great, I'll check it out.

Let me know if you have any questions. I grew up outside of NYC.
        What's the best way to get from JFK to Times Square? I read that the taxis can be a nightmare with traffic, but the train can also be really expensive..?

Originally posted by TeeDee View Post
        Don't eat in an chain restaurant that is available at your local mall. There are so many better choices.
        Wouldn't dream of it!!

Thanks guys.

Comment

What's the best way to get from JFK to Times Square? I read that the taxis can be a nightmare with traffic, but the train can also be really expensive..?

Reg, I always take a taxi from the airport. If you're with friends, you can share the cost...it's not that expensive--$40-$50 a ride. When you exit the building get into the taxi queue. They're usually a fixed rate so that it doesn't matter if you get stuck in traffic. That way you don't have to schlep your luggage all over public transportation.

The traffic is the same as it is in any big city.
          "What lips my lips have kissed and where and why I have forgotten." ~Edna St. Vincent Millay

Comment

Reg, let me clarify. It may be a little more for the taxi out of JFK....maybe $10 more. We always fly into LaGuardia, which is closer to midtown.

Comment

Pay the price for the double decker tour bus. It will take you past all the great spots to visit and you can get off and on all day long. Be prepared to do lots of walking... or yellow cabing.

"First off, welcome to the Relationship Forums, You'll come to understand that I don't pull any punches when giving my opinion/advice and I hope you're not so sensitive to what I see as the truth of the matter." Me!

Comment

I would just take the subway. They go everywhere. Do research and decide what you want to see ahead of time and then map it out geographically on the map.

Comment

Yes, we took the subway a lot as well but its a little intimidating when you're not familiar with where you are and where it's going to let you out. It is handy when you have a specific destination in mind and the stop is close by where you want to be. The World Trade Center stop as an example.
                  "First off, welcome to the Relationship Forums, You'll come to understand that I don't pull any punches when giving my opinion/advice and I hope you're not so sensitive to what I see as the truth of the matter." Me!

Comment

The thing about the subway is that it's fast. On a bus, you can get hopelessly stuck in traffic going nowhere.

Yes, the subway system is a bit tricky, especially if you're used to the London Tube, but there are youtube videos that explain how to navigate the system. Every time I go to New York, I study the subway stops ahead of time and write them down.

Comment

Youtube videos? Wow... if we go again I'll be a Youtubing.

I liked the tourist bus because it went by all the popular neighbourhoods, the most popular sites to see and then we knew what we did and didn't want to go back to. We never took a normal bus at all. We did do a lot of walking though. It seems that a 10 block walk to most New Yorkers isn't a long way. When ever we asked directions they would say "oh its only a short walk that way." lol

Comment

Use a navigation ap then click on the public transportation icon. It will help you with the subway.

Comment

Every time I go to New York, I study the subway stops ahead of time and write them down.
                          Good advice, I will make sure I do that.

Yes, the subway system is a bit tricky, especially if you're used to the London Tube, but there are youtube videos that explain how to navigate the system.
                          What the hell did we ever do before Youtube 'how to' videos???!!!

Thanks for the tips gang <3

Comment

Have fun and have a Happy Birthday!

Comment

Working...
                            X