Best college major to become wealthy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best college major to become wealthy

Hi everyone, I am deciding on what major to take in college. I already have a life sciences AS and originally wanted to be a doctor but my grades arent good enough (cs and bs). So I would like advice on what the best field is like nuclear engineering or finance even? Anyone with experiences or who is doing well or knows someone making over 100k please I would appreciate advice. Thank you.

Engineering. CS - computer science is currently a hot career with 6 figure incomes, math / chemical / electrical, mechanical are 2nd and 3rd. Business - finance / accounting CPA - also very good incomes. Advanced / graduate degrees coupled with senior status with lots of years of experience earns your way into managerial positions which earn even heftier incomes. You earn your way up the ladder rank. Registered nurses with advanced degrees earn above average incomes and always in high demand. If you're prepared for a very long academic life: Biology towards medicine earns mega incomes but be prepared for huge student loan debt from years of medical school unless you have a full ride scholarship or wealthy parents.
    "If you bungle raising your children, whatever else you do well in life doesn't matter very much."

Comment

Also, specialized medicine earns an enormous income such as anesthesiologist, cardiologist, neurologist, opthalmologist, obstetrician, orthopedist all in $200 - $300K+ range. Keep in mind high malpractice insurance fees to pay for each doctor.
      "If you bungle raising your children, whatever else you do well in life doesn't matter very much."

Comment

If you can't decide, do a double major or major / minor to get the best of both worlds and make yourself more marketable in the job market when you're ready to seek employment. Finance / Accounting jobs are easier to attain but if you're super smart in nuclear engineering, that's an impressive income, too. Nuclear engineering is more specialized so the competition is steeper and fiercer since there aren't many job openings in the nuclear engineering field compared to finance / accounting but can earn more income compared to business majors. Business is ok. Engineering requires more scientific skill and more difficult, hence, higher income in engineering - sciences fields.

Comment

Originally posted by Milena View Post
          Hi everyone, I am deciding on what major to take in college. I already have a life sciences AS and originally wanted to be a doctor but my grades arent good enough (cs and bs). So I would like advice on what the best field is like nuclear engineering or finance even? Anyone with experiences or who is doing well or knows someone making over 100k please I would appreciate advice. Thank you.
          Nuclear engineering jobs are shrinking and more towards the military, nuclear energy / power plants but higher pay if you can attain these positions. Finance pays lower but can earn higher with years of experience and even better with advanced degrees in finance, MBA, etc. Btw, nuclear engineering requires grades just as high as medicine and any engineering degree is quite tough. In my neck of the woods, those with the highest incomes (outside medicine) are engineers and managerial engineers. And, successful business owners after decades from starting from nothing. Business majors after that on the pay scale; not bad but not as high as engineering which has more complex skill and their incomes reflect as such.

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I thought about nursing but it seems too exhausting physically. I'm not naturally good at math, I have to work at it but I'm fine once I get it. I'm in my late 20s so I would ideally like a high salary with just a b.s.. which is why I chose engineering too (besides that I like the opportunity to work on real life issues not just money/buisness). I am concerned about lack of jobs though, and competition with other grads.

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I thought about nursing but it seems too exhausting physically. I'm not naturally good at math, I have to work at it but I'm fine once I get it. I'm in my late 20s so I would ideally like a high salary with just a b.s.. which is why I chose engineering too (besides that I like the opportunity to work on real life issues not just money/buisness). I am concerned about lack of jobs though, and competition with other grads.
              Engineering has a lot of math! You have to be very sharp scientifically, mathematically and analytically! Some business majors such as finance and accounting involve a lot of math! For example, Calculus and beyond for engineering majors. Are you kidding me? It's not a walk in the park with this course work especially once you reach upper division courses which are very intense, difficult and complex! High demand jobs commanding highest salaries obviously require the most skill which comes from academics which are not easy. It's the way it is in this world. You've said that you're fine with math and you get it, once you work at it. This means you can do it. Work at it and you will succeed.

Calculus is required for business degrees.
              Last edited by chanelle; February 27th, 2018, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Thank you chanelle. I'm doing calc 1 now and have to practice a lot for sure. I'm at a community college too so I know if/when ij transfer to a 4 year it will be even harder. I think engineering is more likely to be a higher income than finance or buisness but I see different starting salaries from 50k to 90k. I have thought about law school too but I've read that it's not as lucrative if you don't come from a top tier college. And I don't think I would enjoy being a lawyer at all anyway.

Comment

Thank you chanelle. I'm doing calc 1 now and have to practice a lot for sure. I'm at a community college too so I know if/when ij transfer to a 4 year it will be even harder. I think engineering is more likely to be a higher income than finance or buisness but I see different starting salaries from 50k to 90k. I have thought about law school too but I've read that it's not as lucrative if you don't come from a top tier college. And I don't think I would enjoy being a lawyer at all anyway.
                  Of course engineering pays the best out of the choices you have. Business is 2nd tier. Forget law school - - unless you wish to pursue a corporate attorney career which pays handsomely but those jobs are difficult to ascend and attain during the career itself AFTER passing the bar. I despise lawyers. They are trained to argue and gaslight which unfortunately, spills over to their personal lives and spells interpersonal disaster. I know because I broke it off with a lawyer relationship years ago. They're as trustworthy as snakes.

If you can tackle Calculus, you can do engineering. Become financially strong and independent especially as a woman just like my grandma taught me. My grandma always said, "Get an education, have a career, get a great job SO NO MAN CAN TELL YOU WHAT TO DO." A woman has more choices in this life once she is financially independent and strong. Hence, the world is your oyster. You will be pushing through an open door.

Comment

Try jobshadowing and less armchair speculation. Volunteer yourself at an engineering firm or find a part time job in one even if it's clerical work. There are different kinds of engineering. Get through your first year and all your electives. You generally have two years of undergrad before having to declare. Since you're late twenties, I'm guessing that you've worked in your life and are motivated to make more money due to financial difficulties or tight budgets that don't fit your lifestyle or you've got other commitments and goals. You should also be asking yourself what kind of lifestyle you want to live and be open to relocation for better prospects. Good luck.

Comment

I know a lot of engineers. Their incomes are fantastic right out of college. Depending on the major, you can command a 6-figure income upon graduation. With years of experience, you can ascend to management. And, if you're really ambitious, couple the engineering degree with grad school either with masters in engineering or MBA and you're going places. I'm all too familiar with the real work world and i've been in the industry for a long time.

Comment

If you're not good at math, that's going to limit you to some major high paying careers.

Perhaps you need to set your sights a little lower.
                        "What lips my lips have kissed and where and why I have forgotten." ~Edna St. Vincent Millay

Comment

FYI, Calculus 1 is only the beginning. It gets far more difficult and other upper division course work has extremely complex and complicated analytical mathematics to figure out. Just don't get in over your head. You can either compete with the brainiacs or you can't. Competition is fierce in college in order to get to the top tier job market. Be realistic.

Comment

I'm not as skilled in math as I'd like to be but it's the same for any subject I would study except for some science since I've done basics in that already. I'm only back in college so I can get a high paying job out of it. Setting my sights lower would defeat the purpose. But I agree about being realistic so I decided that if I get any lower than an A I won't continue in the program. There are no half letter grades like A- or that would be the limit. Rose yes that's a great idea I'm going to ask around about shadowing asap. I definitely want a comfortable life that like chanelle said would allow me to be independent financially but also fulfilling. I don't have kids but would like to someday (soon within 8 yrs) and don't want to have to worry about money.
                            Last edited by Milena; February 27th, 2018, 09:12 PM.

Comment

I'm not as skilled in math as I'd like to be but it's the same for any subject I would study except for some science since I've done basics in that already. I'm only back in college so I can get a high paying job out of it. Setting my sights lower would defeat the purpose. But I agree about being realistic so I decided that if I get any lower than an A I won't continue in the program. There are no half letter grades like A- or that would be the limit. Rose yes that's a great idea I'm going to ask around about shadowing asap.
                              Give it a shot and try. It will never be a waste to try math or very difficult course work for engineering or business majors. Just know you have options regarding your college major choices. There are internships, too where you actually get paid while you observe and learn professions which may or may not suit you. Look into that. Engineering and / or science fields are the way to go for those snatching up the highest paying salaries. Business majors are ok but the most sought after hires are engineering grads for sure. Business majors require math, too and if not math, analytical skills are required which is math such as Statistics, for example. Just make sure you don't end up struggling to keep your head above the water academically.

Another route to take is to get your foot in the door first and work your way up. It may not necessarily always be tied to your major either and could be distinct to the company or corporate needs.

Comment

Working...
                              X