Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advise me about work please?

Hello

I need some advice. I feel like I am not being treated fairly at work. I've been in this job coming up to a year now, and I have set hours. Before I started in my interview it was made very clear to me that there was a huge backlog of work as they didn't have that role previously and only just created the job when I came along. I was also advised if absolutely necessary, I could have some overtime. There was a lot of paperwork that needed to be processed and administrative duties, they asked me if this was OK and I said that was fine. No deadlines were set, they told me that I would be in charge of my workload, that I would work alone. I applied to be a line manager so I only have one manager above me.

Now 11 months into my role, my manager is giving me more and more duties, I've said I can try my best to fit it in but there's only so much I can physically do within the time frame that I have available. Her response was that I should take work home with me, even though I will not get paid for this. She also said that she would not be willing to give me any overtime and that I had to get through this backlog of data (which has amounted from over 10 years of archiving, filling etc - no exaggeration !!!!) that she would give me THREE weeks to get all of this done.

I felt like I was being bullied about this, particularly as my manager has worked there for over 30 years and is untouchable. I feel worried that there's nothing I can say or do to get advice. When I mentioned in my personal development meeting with her that I was worried about my workload she then went on to try and pick out negative things about the way how I work. She also said that I should not be starting work earlier then usual ( I get to work earlier so I can settle down, make a coffee and check my emails). But then she counteracted everything she said by saying I should do more administrative duties at home.

I have no idea what to do. My career is the bane of my existence and its the one thing I care the most about in my life. Should I start looking for another job? I am someone who handles stress well, but I've never been put in this kind of situation at work before, I am not the rebellious type. I have never missed a deadline or called in sick, I have always done exactly what is required of me.

But now I am finding this situation beyond my reach.

It sounds to me like your manager thinks you don't use your work time wisely. Do you work non-stop during the day? Do you have to answer phones or get interruptions while you're working? Did she think you needed to work faster? Is there a way that you could organize your time to be more efficient?

If you're doing your absolute best, there's only so much you can accomplish. What's going to happen in three weeks if you can't get it done? Can she fire you?
    "What lips my lips have kissed and where and why I have forgotten." ~Edna St. Vincent Millay

Comment

That is toxic and terrible hr management/managerial skills and there is no structure to your position. Many jobs can start out like this when an employee is on probation but you've been there 11 months and she is still acting unreasonable and not listening to you. She sounds like a poor leader and the company suffers because of it. If your job doesn't feel like it has structure or clear expectations, you should bring it to her attention with a pen and paper in your hand and prioritize tasks in front of her. Let her see your growing list of items and be prepared to number them and request strongly that she sit through it with you so you clarify her expectations of you. If you do not know how to execute a task, you ask her what to do right there. Even if you have received prior training, there may be company policies and exceptions, industry changes/trends or your boss is just one of a kind and needs to do things her way. The problem with staying in one place for so long is that a person forgets what it's like to be new and in forgetting that, they forget what takes to train and keep the momentum going with new teams. In a dog eat dog world, the onus is on you to clarify everything.
      Last edited by Rose Mosse; January 30th, 2018, 10:04 PM.

Comment

I would like to add to everybody else comment that certainly document the time it takes you to do your job and visit HR. Yes, I would start looking for another job to get a head start. If you have to call in sick, do so and if you have to use up your vacation days, I would do so for job searching.

Comment

Thanks for all of your replies everyone. I'm only there for half a day (everyday), Monday to Friday because I work part time. I didn't really receive proper training, 11 months onwards I'm still learning everything on the go. Sometimes I'll come across a situation I have no idea about - like a policy or another company asking for help and then one of the managers will be like: this is what you do... my training really isn't even half way complete yet. One of the other managers has agreed to help me to get through part of the backlog of data I have to process before my deadline but he said no one can know that he's helping me.

She didn't really say what will happen if I don't meet the deadline, but the way how she stated she's giving me 3 weeks makes me think there will be some form of negative feedback or repercussion if I haven't been able to get it done by then.

I've started applying for new jobs, it saddens me to leave but I don't feel comfortable there anymore. I don't know how else I can make more use of my time as I've already been told I have to train other staff after my contract hours have finished during the day, that I can get holiday from this but when I request a day or two off I never get it off, even if I request it well in advance. There always seems to be a reason why I can't have it. So effectively I've now lost the overtime I was promised in lieu because I have to take it within a month but I was not allowed to.

I don't know if I should get HR involved as one of my colleagues felt bullied by management so she contacted her line manager who set up a meeting (which consisted of 4 other managers)... and they basically targeted her weak points at work instead of the actual problem at hand.

I've always played by the rules at work, I've always met my deadlines and done whatever has been asked of me, this is why I was offered a promotion. All of this stress is making me feel so tense, my jaw aches from me clenching it in my sleep. Its leaving me feeling exhausted.

Comment

I would go through the chain of command and if you get nowhere with them, keep climbing up higher on the ladder until your voice is heard. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease." If your company is big enough, HR should back you up and mention that you want to avoid bullying tactics by management after you (tattle or snitch on them which is what management thinks sometimes). What your management is doing is abusing their authority and it's harassment and threats which you need to mention. You have a right to work with reasonable expectations from your superior(s).
            "If you bungle raising your children, whatever else you do well in life doesn't matter very much."

Comment

The problem is that HR isnít really your safety net here. Ultimately, they are about protecting the company. Itís a risk going to them yet at the same time you shouldn't take this lying down so to speak. Iím going through some workplace issues myself, but itís re: other colleagues. Iím honestly contemplating leaving my job because of it, but thatís also partly bc I dislike it. Iíd say contact a labor atty and maybe set up a free consultation to see if youíd have a case. Worst thing is you dont have a case and no harm no foul and maybe theyíll point you in the right direction. I despise corporations yet we find ourselves working there anyhow bc we need to work and beats working in the hospitality industry for example. Best of luck!

Comment

I was an HR manager in between accounting (wanted to try something different) and went back to accounting because I feel I help more people in accounting than in HR. I staffed a lot of people in that position and implemented ongoing training strategies with different departments. I did not always agree with what was in place but I did consistently work to leave room for feedback and suggestions from employees and clients. I actually do agree with CD. HR management is only as healthy as top tier management (managing partners, directors, CEOs) unless you're working in the public sector (government). If you want to understand how everyone is treated, look at the work ethic and character type of the managing partners and ask find out more about whether a position is new or why the last person is leaving. I don't feel that your organization has the support and training structure needed for any adequate retention of employees. I also feel like your position was not as well-formed as it could have been prior to you starting and there is a lack of respect for employee time off. Working part time is an added stress because you're not there 8-9 hours a day as regular employees are and before you can tackle the work the following day, you're trying to play catch up with the hours you missed the day before. It also sounds like your direct supervisor (the female manager you're referencing) doesn't have the training and support systems in place (or isn't seeking for appropriate methods) when it's her job ensure her team is functioning properly and maybe this position isn't even budgeted for properly.

It's a good idea to find out if a company is on a tight budget - know the organization. Glancing through the P & L statements will give you some information. If it is not on a tight budget but they only have a part time position to offer you for the workload discussed, find out why. I think you would also benefit from keeping a binder or notebook of applications and exceptions (to policies for example). In my HR brain this should have been in an onboarding manual and part of your training for your position but it sounds like this didn't exist for you either so you create it yourself. I've had to do that too a couple of times. Every company I have left, I have either improved their training guides and left suggestions or created them. Being expected to memorize every nitty gritty in your first year is impossible. In my experience depending on the cycles and trends, it usually isn't until the 3rd or 4th year that I see employees truly transition fully into their positions and assimilate into the work culture and speed- when processes are second nature and remembering exceptions to the rule is like reciting the names of your family. I have asked directly about how a company has been doing in the past year regarding their budget and profits and what their projected challenges are regarding staffing, growth opportunities, bonuses and salary expectations during an interview. When given the opportunity usually in the later half of the interview I've also asked about the culture if it isn't already clear to me in more detail and given examples during an interview because I want to hear what management thinks of x or y situation. It's better they know about me rather than for both of us to find out later on we work differently. Don't be shy. This is a place where you're spending a lot of time and a place that should be rewarding you for your efforts and time you put in. If you don't ask these questions, your interviewer also doesn't know how informed or how concerned you are about the company. If you're going to be part of the team try to see whether you fit in right away.

Comment

Working...
                X