What do you do for a living?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do for a living?

So, I work in IT for a living and I'm getting bored as fuck with it.
    I contemplated changing to be a psychologist, however it was like 6 years of full time study something I can't do,

So I'm looking for inspiration.

What do you do for a living?
    Do you like it? Why do you like it?
    What would you prefer to be doing if you don't.
    PLEASE use PARAGRAPHS when you post, we’re more likely to read your post.
    For more information on paragraphs please press your enter key whilst typing a post.

They're = They are (eg, They're not wearing any clothes!)
    Their = Possessive (eg, Check out their boobies!)
    There = locality (eg There is a naked chick in the water)
    Your = Possessive (eg I can see your boobies through that wet t-shirt)
    You're = You are (eg You're getting dressed? Damn...)

I'm a retired English teacher. I worked with honors and gifted students, and it was very rewarding; they made me laugh every day.

I always wanted to be a flight attendant, but I'm scared to death of flying. I DID marry a pilot, however.

Dude, how do you feel about being a flight attendant?
    "What lips my lips have kissed and where and why I have forgotten." ~Edna St. Vincent Millay

Comment

I've had so many different careers. Most of them in the music business.

Car Stereo Installer. (National Champion 1994)
      Regional Supervisor for big box retail chain Highland Superstores
      Musician/Rock Star (actually more like a legend in my own mind)
      Sound Engineer (loved this being the 6th member of the band)
      Production Manager (got to manage some pretty big ass productions and tours which let me travel extensively)
      Tour Manager (lucky to manage the tours of major stars and of course see even more of the world than most)
      Labor Coordinator (my current gig for a production company assigning the right techs to the right productions)
      Flight Attendant flirterer

I recommend all of them and none of them.
      For me a gig that lets you travel is the best education a person can get.

There is overwhelming evidence that the higher the level of self-esteem, the more likely one will treat others with respect, kindness, and generosity. People who do not experience self-love have little or no capacity to love others.

Comment

Wow,

I just realized it was OSD who started this thread.

Why am I explaining to him what I've done he already knows I thought it was a newbie. My powers of observation are slipping
        There is overwhelming evidence that the higher the level of self-esteem, the more likely one will treat others with respect, kindness, and generosity. People who do not experience self-love have little or no capacity to love others.

Comment

Heh no foh, it's exactly what I wanted to know!
          I'm looking for inspiration.
          I did do production lighting in High School and actually set my high school girlfriend off on a career in stage lighting (she's done quite a lot)

Sarah, unfortunately I'm not a fan of travelling that much, and I'd miss my cats and girl (yep, in that order :P ) too much

Someone suggested writing a novel, well I suppose that's something I could do in my spare time but I doubt I could make a living out of it

For more information on paragraphs please press your enter key whilst typing a post.

Comment

Erotica writer.

Comment

I am a registered dietitian so I visit patients and clients.

I also teach elementary English as a hobby, I love teaching. I am a professional English translator (Academic books, mostly medicine and psychology, also academic papers for international journals).

Had an Italian restaurant for over a year, but got in a legal dispute with the land lord so the business is closed

Right now I'm serving as a conscript.

Comment

I'm a project manager for a mechanical building services company, which is our family business.

In English that means we design and install heating, ventilation and plumbing systems for large commercial projects such as cinemas and army bases.

I get to work with my dad which is great, and also get to travel a fair bit which is fun. Lots of hours in the car which gives me plenty of time to listen to interesting podcasts and audiobooks

Originally posted by Oversharedude View Post
                Someone suggested writing a novel, well I suppose that's something I could do in my spare time but I doubt I could make a living out of it
                Writing a novel has been on my to-do list for ages, but I'm always too lazy to start it. I was always good at creative writing in school and always enjoyed it. SarahLancaster I would have been your favourite student!

OSD, have you thought about perhaps working for yourself rather than someone else? You may find your interest for IT rekindled if you are working on your own terms in the areas you are interested in.

Last edited by whatshappeningreg; January 22nd, 2018, 05:33 AM.
                Just because someone's by your side, it doesn't mean they're on your side.

Comment

It's been thought of and very quickly ruled out.
                  I know for sure I don't have the discipline to be self employed

Comment

I work for a very large animal charity, I'm a line manager. I love it but its extremely distressing on a daily basis I've worked for animal charities since I graduated which was 6 years ago. We see a huge amount of abused animals, I'm now tired of the charity sector because of the emotional distress it causes so I've decided to apply for other jobs. I'm now going to be starting my pHD and finding private (research) work outside of the charity sector.

Comment

I used to be a manager for a large corporation. I hated it and I realized my life was slowly being sucked out me..

So, I became a business owner. I am also studying to become a pastry chef. I make beautiful cakes and desserts for people, and I couldn't be happier. I've always been drawn to art, painting and sculptures. Now I get paid to create.

Comment

I actually am a psychologist OSD, so if there's anything you want to know about the field, let me know.
                        I agree, it's a long study. But very much worth it if you ask me. I've loved my job since day 1

Comment

Working...
                        X