Asking for help with my resume

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking for help with my resume

I am in the process of updating my resume so I can start looking for a second job.
    I have a full time job with a very well known company that is known for paying it's employees very well, but not all positions are not paid well and there is a very big misconception from people about this.

I spoke to coworkers who are in a higher pay grade, very mature and there is no competition since I am at a low level position. They agreed that when searching for a job outside of our field, that our employer listed on the resume is not advisable.

What I need help is on how do I tell the truth without disclosing the name of my employer and not found to be lying on my resume?
    My history is mainly from with the name before I got married and I feel that I have a fresh start, new identity. It feels good, but I don't know how I can use this to my advantage when preparing my resume and job searching.
    I would really love to get a second job, to help me save to go back to school and start a new career if I suffer a job loss at this current job. The misconception of the public is that it is impossible to lose my current job due to employer, which can be true, but times are changing and I want to plan for the future and get extra financial help.

I would really appreciate any advice and encouragement, because after a job interview I went to, I really felt that my current employer is holding me back and a few years back, I lied on my resume just so I could get a second job and it worked.

I would have thought that your employment history needs to be accurate on your résumé, as this is the most important thing that people will look at when considering you for a position. Also they may need to contact your employer for recommendations, so it would be easy for them to find out if you had lied about something.

Please clarify why you wish to omit this from your résumé. If I have followed correctly, it is because you think that people will assume that you are being paid more than you actually are...?

I would say that if you are working for a reputable well-known brand then that would probably benefit your application to new jobs.
    Just because someone's by your side, it doesn't mean they're on your side.

Comment

I cannot allow the potential employer contact my current employer at all. That would put me at risk of getting terminated at the current job. The current employer is a very big name and the assumption is that all employees are paid handsomely, which is not the case. It is well known that when having this employer listed on your resume, you don't get hired. For example: if you are a FBI agent and you apply for a part-time job at McDonald's fast food restaurant, they will not hire you.

Comment

Originally posted by StayHealthy View Post
        For example: if you are a FBI agent and you apply for a part-time job at McDonald's fast food restaurant, they will not hire you.
        That may be but it is inadvisable to omit information on your resume. What's more, how are you going to explain such a gap in your employment history?

You may have lied in the past but that hardly means you should continue pressing your luck. I find it very hard to believe that literally no one at your company is able to get a job elsewhere as a consequence of having this company listed on their resume. It sounds to me like a few people were turned down for other work and made up a story to explain why. I'm sorry but I'm just not buying this tale and I don't think you should either.
        "Why are you always smiling?"
        "Because it's all so fucking hysterical."

Hier kommt die Sonne

Comment

Originally posted by Dasmi View Post

That may be but it is inadvisable to omit information on your resume. What's more, how are you going to explain such a gap in your employment history?

You may have lied in the past but that hardly means you should continue pressing your luck. I find it very hard to believe that literally no one at your company is able to get a job elsewhere as a consequence of having this company listed on their resume. It sounds to me like a few people were turned down for other work and made up a story to explain why. I'm sorry but I'm just not buying this tale and I don't think you should either.
          Very few have 2nd jobs and they got it prior to getting this job or work at family business.

Comment

If this is only for a second job, which I assume will be part-time, is your current job really going to influence it that much? Surely they won't be matching your current pay anyway. Is it going to be a similar type of job to what you are doing now?

I don't think your FBI/McDonalds analogy rings true because obviously McDonalds would not pay the same wage as an FBI agent because the jobs are completely different. An FBI agent applying at McDonalds would not be expecting them to match his FBI salary. I'm not trying to get into a semantics argument with you, but am just trying to point out that you may be thinking about the salary thing the wrong way.

I really think you are putting too much weight into this brand name you work for.
            Last edited by whatshappeningreg; May 15th, 2017, 12:42 PM.
            Just because someone's by your side, it doesn't mean they're on your side.

Comment

Originally posted by whatshappeningreg View Post
              If this is only for a second job, which I assume will be part-time, is your current job really going to influence it that much? Surely they won't be matching your current pay anyway. Is it going to be a similar type of job to what you are doing now?

I don't think your FBI/McDonalds analogy rings true because obviously McDonalds would not pay the same wage as an FBI agent because the jobs are completely different. An FBI agent applying at McDonalds would not be expecting them to match his FBI salary. I'm not trying to get into a semantics argument with you, but am just trying to point out that you may be thinking about the salary thing the wrong way.

I really think you are putting too much weight into this brand name you work for.
              That is obviously common sense. I said that I am looking for a 2nd job, I didn't mention the income, but to only say that my income is not what people think it is. I know for a fact that I am having a hard time securing a 2nd job because of this employer being on my resume and as stated originally, my coworkers admit that this is a major problem for us.

Comment

Working...
              X