Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you consider when replying to a thread?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you consider when replying to a thread?

Originally posted by Carnation View Post
    I'm highly ADD, so if the people don't make it a quick and sweet post I can't concentrate. A wall of text also does that to me too.

Posts on stereotyping women/men/races.

ppl who talk lik this lol

Atleast make an effort! I can stand small grammar mistakes, but man... don't act like you're texting us this information.
    I agree with most of this. I can stand a single thick paragraph in most posts, but 9/10 users don't have ideas worth 500+ words.

Coherent thought flow is a must if I'm going to read much.

Talking about subjects that are actually interesting

Avoiding ad homs is essential. I'm so tired of all the various forms of trolling out there, regardless of whether I'm the target or not, as its just taxing and pointless to read.

Oh my god, I just realized how much I'm going to miss sweetnut!

Comment

I don't exactly consider much when reading a thread. If I do come to a thread that has
      an interesting title, I'll read it.

Comment

Oops! Lmfao!
        I just wrote a ridiculously long post.
        But I am some sort of a grammar b*tch! So I tend to be very particular with the way I present my issue in terms of grammar and punctuation.
        I also try to be tolerant of people who might not be that great with their grammar, because I have friends from across the globe and not all of them are AMAZING in English.

Comment

Originally posted by kuju View Post
          -LONG threads. Be CONCISE. Tell what you NEED to tell.
          -boring titles. "Help me" "Sorry, long thread" "I have a problem." These do NOT attract the eye. I might not even go in!
          Ditto what everyone has already said. I've been a forum junkie for many years and the above, in quote, are the most annoying for me!

Plus including an entire post in quotes-- please -- it's not necessary, we already read that post. Just quote what is relative to your reply.
          If you carry old bricks from your past relationship to your new one,
          you will build the same house that fell apart before.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          When was the last time you did something for the first time?

Comment

actually, people are sometimes encouraged to post the original post, in its entirety, in the FIRST reply to a thread. This is good because even if the OP edits his/her post within the edit window, their post is saved. It's a bit sneaky. But it's REALLY annoying to see "Sorry, deleted" or "Got my answer" as the first post, and then there's four posts below it answering the original question, but you have no IDEA what the original question is!

now, breaking down someone's post into short quotes to address each and every point CAN be annoying if done in excess.
            29/female/Toronto
            I'm so cool I've got my OWN SMILEY!!

English. It's your language. Learn to type it.

Comment

kuju> Oh! I wasn't aware of that but guess it makes sense!
              If you carry old bricks from your past relationship to your new one,
              you will build the same house that fell apart before.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              When was the last time you did something for the first time?

Comment

I consider pretty much everything that was stated in the OP. If the poster has extremely poor grammar, I tend to view them as somewhat unintelligent and I don't feel like wasting my time. If the OP is in one gigantic paragraph, I just hit the back button. White space...use it! Boring titles catch my attention less often but if I'm bored I'll check them out anyways. =/ And if a thread is long, I'll only read it if it's important information and not completely stupid and/or boring. =D
                "Why are you always smiling?"
                "Because it's all so fucking hysterical."

Hier kommt die Sonne

Comment

I do not mind as long as the length of damaged cable is properly and they are clear to read. I understand that when your heart is sick you just want to pour it all out there in the hope that someone can understand all this and point you in the right direction. Sometimes the information in more than helped me to see the nuances of the situation. If boring or dull or uninformative, I'll just fast forward. lol

Comment

ENGLISH, MUTHERFUCKER!! DOST THOU SPEAKETH IT?!!! LMAO
                    Oh and by the way mother is spelled with an "O" not a "U" snigger snigger
                    -Hedgie-

Comment

I haven't been here long, but I have been on many forums.

I will pretty much reply to anything. However, if the title is misleading, that is where I cross the line. If I read the title, and it interests me and so I enter the thread, and it is something completely different you better believe I won't reply. For example, I used to belong to a gaming forum and someone had the title "Awesome new game coming out!!!!" and it was a game I really liked, and wanted it on the system I had, well I went to the thread and it turned out he was asking if people would enjoy that game, not that the game was really coming out. I was so mad.

So that is pretty much my only pet-peeve with things like that. If someone needs help, I will try to help them no matter what text they use or how they organize their paragraphs. Sometimes I can get in a deep thought without spacing it out, and I know it can happen to anyone especially when they are going through something rough. Everyone deserves a reply.

The only other times I don't reply is if it is something that really doesn't interest me, or if it is something that is too much of a touchy subject for me. I don't like reading anything that brings back memories of my ex-fiance, and though I try to push those thoughts out of my mind when someone needs a reply, there will be times I won't reply because it is too much for me to think about at the time.

On the flip-side, I pay extra attention to threads that have no replies as I feel like anyone who spends their time and energy to write a thread at least deserves a reply.

Comment

jeez i wish i had read this first! i wouldn't have posted such a long paragraphless post. maybe i would have gotten more responses. i tried to go back and edit it, but i didn't see where i could edit after i had already replied to my own post(lame )

Comment

Originally posted by chulley View Post
                          jeez i wish i had read this first! i wouldn't have posted such a long paragraphless post. maybe i would have gotten more responses. i tried to go back and edit it, but i didn't see where i could edit after i had already replied to my own post(lame )
                          I believe you only get 24 hours to edit a post.

Paragraphs, correct punctuation, spacing and no txt spk will get a lot more readers and therefore repliers.
                          There is overwhelming evidence that the higher the level of self-esteem, the more likely one will treat others with respect, kindness, and generosity. People who do not experience self-love have little or no capacity to love others.

Comment

Yep you've covered it pretty nicely. However I think we should be light on the grammar side as not all of us are native English speakers, just an opinion. But yeah, having a thread with a first post that fills more than the desktop screen would annoy me along with excessive use of capital letters.

Comment

Originally posted by unnamed View Post
                              I have been guilty of replying to a blurb or text without reading the full thing -.-

one of the admins called me out on it.

harsh.
                              but deserved.
                              me too... a couple of years after haha cheers!

Comment

For as long as I can understand the message they are trying to convey, I'm fine with it.

I don't like it when people stray too far from the thread topic.

Comment

Working...
                                X