X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to report posts

Hello all,

This is your friendly (!) neighbourhood moderator with some friendly (?) tips about reporting posts, and also a quick look behind the scenes here at theRFs.

You may have seen the report post button before...

...it's located in every single post, just under the user information.
    In PMs you find them at the top right corner.

The report post button is there for two reasons:
    1. So that you can report spam.
    2. So that you can report flaming.

We are very grateful when you do.

However, we request that you ask yourself whether what you are reporting is really flaming.
    Flaming is usually carried out by individuals known as flamers, who are specifically motivated to incite flaming. These users specialize in flaming and target specific aspects of a controversial conversation, and are usually less subtle than their counterparts.
    We are not here to pat you on the back or kiss your booboo if you get report posts simply because you did not get the advice you expected or because you took offence to a frank comment. For that, there is an ignore list. If you feel at all unsure about this, or if you are certain a user is targeting you in more than one specific instance, feel free to PM someone on the staff. We deal with these kinds of complaints and questions all the time and we do look into all complaints.

Now for the look behind the scenes!

When you report a post, the report goes straight to our list of reported posts and an e-mail is sent to the moderators on call for the forum where the post was made. If you report a PM, an e-mail goes out to all staff. There is essentially no way for us to miss it.

For that reason, please do not report multiple posts by one user. If a spammer makes ten posts and you report each one, we get ten mails about it. When another user then does the same, we get ten more.

We do not usually respond to reported posts, but they are, generally speaking, impossible to miss... so if nothing happens, the post has been ruled "okay" by staff.

Re: How to report posts

How about reporting posts that are in the wrong forum to request a mod move it?

OK or no?
    PLEASE use PARAGRAPHS when you post, we’re more likely to read your post.
    For more information on paragraphs please press your enter key whilst typing a post.

They're = They are (eg, They're not wearing any clothes!)
    Their = Possessive (eg, Check out their boobies!)
    There = locality (eg There is a naked chick in the water)
    Your = Possessive (eg I can see your boobies through that wet t-shirt)
    You're = You are (eg You're getting dressed? Damn...)

Comment

This is an online community, and so "report a post" really should be the equivalent of "reporting crime to the police"

So if all random "move this" and "merge that dupe" requests were reported, that would be like flooding the 911 phone lines with "I stubbed my toe" whininess. The report a post tool is __NOT__ a "now you, too, can be a mod!" Fisher Price playset.
      %0|%0

Comment

Happy to work with that Kuky, good analogy.

I'll just look on eBay for my "now you, too, can be a mod!" Fisher Price playset.
        PLEASE use PARAGRAPHS when you post, we’re more likely to read your post.
        For more information on paragraphs please press your enter key whilst typing a post.

They're = They are (eg, They're not wearing any clothes!)
        Their = Possessive (eg, Check out their boobies!)
        There = locality (eg There is a naked chick in the water)
        Your = Possessive (eg I can see your boobies through that wet t-shirt)
        You're = You are (eg You're getting dressed? Damn...)

Comment

Additionally, the report post button is not there as a convenient way for anyone to tell the mods and admins that they really want their post/account deleted now.

Also, kindly do not report curse words. This is not kindergarten and you will not get a gold star. You will get mocked by staff in the reported posts sub-forum.

Comment

I want to report a pm, but am not sure how to go about it. I received topic notification reply in my email. When I read it, it was spam; basically someone trying to date me and inviting me to write to them at their personal email account. When I clicked on the forum link, it took me to a topic I had started last year. But I didn't see any reply from this person. Nor did their message appear in my private messages. How did they get my email, and how do I report them?

Comment

To report a PM click on the Report Private Message button.

It looks like this:

You'll find it in the title field of the PM, once you have opened it.

Comment

Another issue with reporting posts:

We REALLY appreciate it when you report a post. We do not have time to read every single topic (at least, *I* don't!) and so finding that one asshole who ruins a thread is difficult. PLEASE report those posts. And PLEASE don't reply to them. Report it, and it will be gone. And all that will be left is your response to the missing post. And now I have to go and delete that too, which is annoying for me.

SPAM THREADS: do NOT report them. We see them, I promise you. A thread titled "wfzxvkfgbdm" we KNOW it's spam. We may not read entire threads, but at least SOMEONE goes into all of them. If there's a lot of them, it's because they were posted in a small window that a moderator wasn't online. We'll get to them. just ignore it. Anything you post in that thread will be deleted and not go to your post-count anyway.

If there is a problem with a specific member, report ONE post, and say in your report that "this guy has been blah blah blah in several of his posts." I, at least, will go and look at all of his posts and decide what further actions need to be taken. You do not need to report all of his individual posts.
                29/female/Toronto
                I'm so cool I've got my OWN SMILEY!!

English. It's your language. Learn to type it.

Comment

Working...
                X