Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Vaccinate or not

Hi,

I voluntarily opt to get vaccinated against every disease that has a vaccine available.
    The reason I do, is because I understand infectious diseases and the devastation they cause.

Why people opt not to get vaccinated is bizarre to me and in current day the people choosing not to get their kids vaccinated is even more bizarre since they themselves were likely to be protected by vaccination by their own parents which has allowed them to live into adulthood and produce offspring of their own. And now wonít protect their own .

It saddens me to have just read a lot of misinformed peoples comments on fb re the recent outbreak of measles in the US.
    But I wonít comment on there because unfortunately it falls on deaf ears.

Thats all.

Maggie.

It is very sad that people are willfully ignoring science and putting others at risk of preventable diseases, especially young children.
    Anyone who has ever been really sick knows how preferable it is to get vaccinated than to even have a chance at being ill.

Comment

I read that a person with measles can cough in a room, and those droplets stay in the air for an hour and can infect people. It's highly contagious.
      "What lips my lips have kissed and where and why I have forgotten." ~Edna St. Vincent Millay

Comment

I'm not very politically inclined on this matter or medically inclined overall for that matter. I'd leave the informed suggestion to the experts/doctors and will vaccinate for travel purposes and if there is a need.
        Generally I do vaccinate when suggested except for the flu vaccine which is more for personal reasons (nothing political or science-based).

Comment

I think the issue is parents who refuse to vaccinate their children, and rely on herd immunity to protect them. They are still putting other children at risk.
          "What lips my lips have kissed and where and why I have forgotten." ~Edna St. Vincent Millay

Comment

Maggiemay4791 My sister married a weird, obnoxiously rude guy and she suspects it's a form of social ineptness of some sort. Her firstborn daughter is normal in every way. Her second born daughter inherited his father's poor social skills to the point of embarrassing. She believes in what Jenny McCarthy wrote in her book about immunizations causing autism, poor social skills, etc. Therefore, she was adamantly against vaccinating her third born son and he has never been immunized for anything. She deliberately enrolled her children in private schools which didn't require strict immunization rules compared to public schools. That's her prerogative. I don't agree with her not immunizing her son. Both of my sons were normally immunized yet they turned out normal without any behavioral problems.

Comment

chanelle How old is the third born?
              Not that I would wish it on anyone but it would be a kick in the butt for your niece if the third subsequently got diagnosed with autism.

A lot of people just donít seem to understand herd immunity.
              A child can only get the measles vaccine once they turn 12 months.
              And whatís really sad is that someoneís unvaccinated 5 yr old might get measles , have mild symptoms and recover , however while contagious , happened to spread it to an 11 month old at the shopping centre who subsequently died from it. Even though the child was about to get the vaccine in a few weeks.

The mother of the first child brags about how her 5 yr old got measles and is fine justifying her decision without a clue that some other mother is burying her child at the expense of that poor decision.

The anti vax people have absolutely no idea about infectious diseases or vaccines and how they work.
              And they listen to non qualified people over actual scientific research and evidence. They have no idea how stupid they sound to people that actually know.

It saddens me greatly!

Im glad you all have replied positively to this though! Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Maggiemay4791 View Post
                chanelle How old is the third born?
                Not that I would wish it on anyone but it would be a kick in the butt for your niece if the third subsequently got diagnosed with autism.

A lot of people just donít seem to understand herd immunity.
                A child can only get the measles vaccine once they turn 12 months.
                And whatís really sad is that someoneís unvaccinated 5 yr old might get measles , have mild symptoms and recover , however while contagious , happened to spread it to an 11 month old at the shopping centre who subsequently died from it. Even though the child was about to get the vaccine in a few weeks.

The mother of the first child brags about how her 5 yr old got measles and is fine justifying her decision without a clue that some other mother is burying her child at the expense of that poor decision.

The anti vax people have absolutely no idea about infectious diseases or vaccines and how they work.
                And they listen to non qualified people over actual scientific research and evidence. They have no idea how stupid they sound to people that actually know.

It saddens me greatly!

Im glad you all have replied positively to this though! Thank you!
                Maggiemay4791 3rd son is 12 yrs old. Thus far, he seems to be the normal one but I don't attribute it to not being immunized. I hope he doesn't catch any diseases.

My BIL (brother-in-law) has something wrong with his brain. He's very smart and earns a ton of money to be able to afford a $1.6 mil McMansion yet socially, he'll say the most obnoxiously rude and inappropriate comments which would knock your socks off. I don't know if it's because he's in the middle of 6 brothers and the parents were sloppy with teaching their sons manners or what the problem was but apparently, all 6 brothers are 'off' to the point of unacceptable. All SIL (sisters=in-law) share notes at every family gathering.

It would be hilarious, Maggiemay4791 if I could place you next to BIL. I'd love to observe your face and hear what you would have to say to him, haha! I know you would give him a piece of your mind! He would have no problem cutting you down in front of everyone but I know you could handle him. He has caused problems and rifts. I've since learned to simply avoid him and he's actually doing me a huge favor by not attending some family gatherings. I feel relieved!

BIL had to move from job to job because he wasn't well liked at work which is a problem. When it's not just a spouse, children, relatives and in-laws, it's a problem especially because he's not well-liked while trying to earn a livelihood.

Anyway, my sister fears that should she vaccinate her son, he too would inherit his father's intolerable behavior. The middle daughter is socially awkward to the point of alarmingly awkward in not a good way. She has a mild form of Asperger's syndrome which my sister blames on vaccines. My sister thinks it's due to vaccines. I don't believe it. The 1stborn daughter is fine and she was vaccinated.

Ever since my sister read the book authored by Jenny McCarthy about her belief that there's a connection between autism and vaccines, my sister was sold. Jenny McCarthy blames vaccines as the cause of her son's autism.

My 2 sons were vaccinated and they are normal and fine.

Comment

Originally posted by chanelle View Post

Maggiemay4791 3rd son is 12 yrs old. Thus far, he seems to be the normal one but I don't attribute it to not being immunized. I hope he doesn't catch any diseases.

My BIL (brother-in-law) has something wrong with his brain. He's very smart and earns a ton of money to be able to afford a $1.6 mil McMansion yet socially, he'll say the most obnoxiously rude and inappropriate comments which would knock your socks off. I don't know if it's because he's in the middle of 6 brothers and the parents were sloppy with teaching their sons manners or what the problem was but apparently, all 6 brothers are 'off' to the point of unacceptable. All SIL (sisters=in-law) share notes at every family gathering.

It would be hilarious, Maggiemay4791 if I could place you next to BIL. I'd love to observe your face and hear what you would have to say to him, haha! I know you would give him a piece of your mind! He would have no problem cutting you down in front of everyone but I know you could handle him. He has caused problems and rifts. I've since learned to simply avoid him and he's actually doing me a huge favor by not attending some family gatherings. I feel relieved!

BIL had to move from job to job because he wasn't well liked at work which is a problem. When it's not just a spouse, children, relatives and in-laws, it's a problem especially because he's not well-liked while trying to earn a livelihood.

Anyway, my sister fears that should she vaccinate her son, he too would inherit his father's intolerable behavior. The middle daughter is socially awkward to the point of alarmingly awkward in not a good way. She has a mild form of Asperger's syndrome which my sister blames on vaccines. My sister thinks it's due to vaccines. I don't believe it. The 1stborn daughter is fine and she was vaccinated.

Ever since my sister read the book authored by Jenny McCarthy about her belief that there's a connection between autism and vaccines, my sister was sold. Jenny McCarthy blames vaccines as the cause of her son's autism.

My 2 sons were vaccinated and they are normal and fine.
                  The youngest being 12 is lucky! But should he come in contact with measles no one surrounding him will be so lucky. He will be fine at his age if he contracts measles. But if he gets measles when he has a newborn baby and his baby dies , will he then blame his mother??
                  I think all these unvaccinated kids should be educated to make their own choice once they turn 18.

Your BIL actually sounds like he is on the spectrum. Many are very intelligent and successful. Bill Gates is I believe. ??
                  Aspergers is on the lower end of the spectrum. Still considered autistic. But autism and Aspergers are not a new thing. Itís just new to having a label. Which is great for sufferers and carers. Many are only diagnosed as such at a certain age because realistically you canít diagnose until they start to show symptoms which just happen to be around the age when they receive vaccines.

Perhaps you should be a little forgiving of your BIL because he was never diagnosed?
                  Has your sister ever suggested he get tested ?

Comment

Maggiemay4791 Even though I don't agree with my sister not vaccinating her youngest son due to her disastrous husband and her 2nd vaccinated daughter who presumably "inherited" her father's bad genes, I don't say anything to her because how she raises her children is her prerogative. I would love to say something but I know it will cause WW3 so I refrain from inserting my strong opinion regarding my disagreement with her. Her 1stborn daughter was vaccinated and turned out normal. Go figure.

A lot of women believe Jenny McCarthy and everything she wrote in her book regarding the connection between immunizations and autism. It's one of the reasons why they refuse to vaccinate their kids.

My BIL finally caught on that he's not well-liked nor respected. My husband hadn't shook his hand in 2 years. Normally, at every restaurant or home gathering, they would shake hands as many men do upon greeting. Not anymore. Not after my husband fully understood how BIL disrespected me with his obnoxiously rude comments not to mention my husband and 2 sons were disrespected by BIL in the past as well. Handshaking came to a screeching halt so BIL felt the cold shoulder. For the past several restaurant gatherings in Dec around the holidays, BIL did not attend. I couldn't have felt more relieved, happy and relaxed. My sister told him that my husband and I do not like him. We're civil towards my sister. There is a mutual understanding of dislike and disdain now.

Background: BIL made snide comments which were very hurtful. I took the higher road and pretended I didn't hear it. Well, this has since happened countless times over the years. He never stops. I finally complained to my sister and she defended her marriage, felt threatened that I was going to cause them to argue over this big never ending problem, gaslighted me and it ended up in a hot mess. You can't deal with idiots. My sister said BIL is very rude to her and their 3 children. Still, it doesn't make it alright to direct BIL's very obnoxious rudeness toward me and my men. His comments are inappropriate to the point of being a boor and he is a major bully.

Forgive my BIL? Yes. Hugs and handshakes? No m'am. Not on your life. Will I be civil when our paths cross in the future sometime? Yes. Will I say any more than 'hello?' Nope. Will my husband and I engage in small talk with BIL? No. Will I say "good-bye?' Nope. I'll be civil and peaceful but never chummy. My husband, sons and I do our part for family traditions, holidays and occasional unity but we're less than acquaintances at this point. It gets easier and easier to be this way. It works. We keep cool.

BIL is one of 6 brothers. All SIL (sisters-in-law) share notes because all of their husbands are the same, weird in a very bad way.

BIL was never diagnosed. Something went awry during his upbringing and young adulthood.

My charming, pretentious sister is a SAHM so she's not going to jeopardize her affluent lifestyle and meal ticket by complaining about whom she married. She's a 'Stepford Wife.'

I'm civil, peaceful, polite and respectful toward her and everyone in the family yet I keep a frosty distance. It keeps the peace. I don't bother her nor anyone and they sure as hell better not bother me either. This is the deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Maggiemay4791 View Post
                      The whole rise of the anti-vaxxing community is one of the stranger things going on at the moment.

An army of Facebook Moms discarding decades of scientific research because of a few posts they've seen about autism...

b6a.jpg
                      Just because someone's by your side, it doesn't mean they're on your side.

Comment

A measles outbreak in the Philippines alone has killed 70 people in 2019 so far. O.O
                        "First off, welcome to the Relationship Forums, You'll come to understand that I don't pull any punches when giving my opinion/advice and I hope you're not so sensitive to what I see as the truth of the matter." Me!

Comment

Working...
                        X