Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I be free from depression and always be in a positive mind?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I be free from depression and always be in a positive mind?

I donít think a person can completely be free of depression. I do believe a person can deal with it better overtime. My BFF changes her thoughts and focuses on good/positive thoughts. And with her medication, she can do it. Try keeping a journal, or doing something creative. My mini me draws. Me, I have 3 different medications to help and my love for music, and an incredible support system.

ziacmt1 I know medication is for many. However for me, I try my best to go the medication-free route and I'm not saying my way works for everyone. What I do is workout so my brain produces endorphins and seratonins, the brain's natural feel good hormones. It's my favorite high and I feel spectacular after every workout. I workout daily for about an hour + 20 minutes or about an hour. If I'm pressed for time 30 minutes a day. I take my Golden Retriever for daily walks. I do yoga several times a week.

And, I changed my diet. I feel horrible when I eat "normally" just like everyone else. I avoid processed food, white carbs, sugar and saturated fats. No meat, no wheat, no dairy. I drink more water and stay hydrated. I've since lost 35 pounds. I became cut and I no longer have brain space for negative thoughts and people who've wronged me. I'm too exhausted to care.

Your support system is important. We're not meant to be shut-ins, isolated and loners. It helps to be tribal by having a healthy, kind hearted social life. Examples are: friends, family, organizations (church, charity, volunteer in the community), sports groups, perhaps hobby groups or relating to those who enjoy what you enjoy.

There is a sound body sound mind connection. Whenever I don't take care of my physical health, my mental health goes down the drain. Whenever I take good care of myself, I look and feel great. You need to concentrate and focus on your physical health FOR LIFE and then whatever benefits for the brain is gravy.
    "If you bungle raising your children, whatever else you do well in life doesn't matter very much."

Comment

I have never suffered from depression or taken medication for it. I've been down and of ill physical health but I've never been clinically depressed. Are you seeking help from anywhere (a doctor, therapist etc)? How old are you? Your scope and freedom of movement is limited as a teenager or young person. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to stay focused. Remain true to yourself and your values and what you believe in, treat your friendships and relationships with your family well and honour the good people in your life. I agree with Chanelle physical health does affect mental health.

Comment

Originally posted by chanelle View Post
        ziacmt1 I know medication is for many. However for me, I try my best to go the medication-free route and I'm not saying my way works for everyone. What I do is workout so my brain produces endorphins and seratonins, the brain's natural feel good hormones. It's my favorite high and I feel spectacular after every workout. I workout daily for about an hour + 20 minutes or about an hour. If I'm pressed for time 30 minutes a day. I take my Golden Retriever for daily walks. I do yoga several times a week.

And, I changed my diet. I feel horrible when I eat "normally" just like everyone else. I avoid processed food, white carbs, sugar and saturated fats. No meat, no wheat, no dairy. I drink more water and stay hydrated. I've since lost 35 pounds. I became cut and I no longer have brain space for negative thoughts and people who've wronged me. I'm too exhausted to care.

Your support system is important. We're not meant to be shut-ins, isolated and loners. It helps to be tribal by having a healthy, kind hearted social life. Examples are: friends, family, organizations (church, charity, volunteer in the community), sports groups, perhaps hobby groups or relating to those who enjoy what you enjoy.

There is a sound body sound mind connection. Whenever I don't take care of my physical health, my mental health goes down the drain. Whenever I take good care of myself, I look and feel great. You need to concentrate and focus on your physical health FOR LIFE and then whatever benefits for the brain is gravy.
        medication is not an option for many.

Depession is not a mental illness but a chemical one.

When serotonin drops below a certain level, no dietary or exercise changes can bring it above the ďnormalĒ , it can up it but not to a level of beyond depression. It simply makes you have better days.

For any clinically diagnosed person with depression , medication is the only answer. Yes exercise can boost serotonin levels , in non depressed individuals it elates them. In depressed individuals it simply brings them up to the non elated non depressed individual.
        Essentially bringing the depressed up to a bad day of the non depressed.
        But for them thatís a good day!

People that dont understand depression, cause individuals suffering it feel worse.

Comment

Maggiemay4791 As I've already previously stated, I agree that medication is a must for the clinically depressed. I do have my bouts with depression regarding some ongoing in-law problems (aka BIL from hell and his defender-enabler wife) which is beyond fixing because the jerk has serious mental disorders and his wife is a classic narcissist for which there is no cure for both of them. I just can't wait to eat turkey with them for the upcoming holidays!

In my case since dealing with the problem through my mother and BIL from hell and his wife is just like beating a dead horse, I've tried my own way through serious exercise and a diet regimen. After all that exercise, clean up, grooming, rest and nourishment, I'm pretty worn out and because of that, I don't have any time, brain space nor energy to spare for anyone else. It's a good kind of tired and depressive, angry thoughts go away because suddenly I feel self-confident, invincible and I don't allow others to defeat me anymore.

In the past, I felt inferior to everyone else. Ever since I focused on myself, I feel better within my own skin. I'm not saying my way works for others. I'm saying for me, I didn't want to reach for the bottle of pills and wanted to try going the natural route for myself. It also helps that I have a great husband to lean on for support and he makes everything all right in this world no matter what so I'm fortunate.

I surround myself with high quality friends, I have hobbies, crafts, my Golden Retriever and stable home life. I count my blessings.

The funny thing is when I'm immersed with my own life, people come around, my phone starts ringing and they realize I'm very busy. In the past, I was depressed, needy, clingy but ever since I've been concentrating on my physical health, my mental well being had improved immensely. I feel spectacular post-exercise. I feel pretty tough and strong, too which spills over to my self-confident mental state. I'm never reverting to my previous slovenly state ever again.

To be clear, I'm glad prescription meds help others. I fully support what they do. It just wasn't for me and in my case, I did what works for me.
          "If you bungle raising your children, whatever else you do well in life doesn't matter very much."

Comment

I have heard Kratom is useful to recover mental pain and depression. If you have free time and interest you can try Kratom. This is helpful as far as I know. Thanks!

Comment

For me, I do mindful journaling and planning. I look at my planner and plan the things I will do for the day. It gets me really productive. And for journaling, it helps to write blog posts that you know will not just add value to your life but also add value to other people's lives. For me, I decided to create a free website using the hPage website builder and I put my blog entries there every morning on personal development, positivity, and gratitude. Not only does it help practice my writing skills but it gets my day going right and I am looking at the day with a positive manner. Mindful journaling whether online or offline really helps a lot with anxiety, personal development, and getting those negative thoughts out in my opinion!

Whenever I start to feel sad, I also start to beat the shi* out of sadness within me. I do whatever gets me going like completing a project, exercising, running, going shopping, reading a book. Once i feel it starting to creep in, I go get moving.

Comment

Just under 3 years ago my whole family was rocked by a succession of tragedies. My aunt passed away, a few weeks later my mother suffered 2 heart attacks and a massive stroke in one night and miraculously survived, although she will never be the same. She cannot communicate very well and has lost feeling in her right side (my dad, sister and i now take care of her). Shortly after that my first cat passed away. A year following that my dog passed away. Two months after that my last cat passed away. A month following that my grandmother passed away. Ten months following that my grandfather passed away of a broken heart. My whole family (except me) are taking anti-depressants as obviously this was allot to deal with in the space of less than 2 years. If i didn't have my husband and my kids supporting me i don't know how I would have coped. I also exchanged emails with a Councillor for a time. She was wonderful and helped me through my down times. I really didn't want to be on medications but i admit at times when i am struggling (and i really do struggle sometimes) i consider visiting the doctor. But i manage to pull myself out of it with the support of my husband. I am also an author and my writing helps sometimes too. I agree that you can never be completely free of depression but there are things than can help you cope with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazed & Confused View Post
                  Just under 3 years ago my whole family was rocked by a succession of tragedies. My aunt passed away, a few weeks later my mother suffered 2 heart attacks and a massive stroke in one night and miraculously survived, although she will never be the same. She cannot communicate very well and has lost feeling in her right side (my dad, sister and i now take care of her). Shortly after that my first cat passed away. A year following that my dog passed away. Two months after that my last cat passed away. A month following that my grandmother passed away. Ten months following that my grandfather passed away of a broken heart. My whole family (except me) are taking anti-depressants as obviously this was allot to deal with in the space of less than 2 years. If i didn't have my husband and my kids supporting me i don't know how I would have coped. I also exchanged emails with a Councillor for a time. She was wonderful and helped me through my down times. I really didn't want to be on medications but i admit at times when i am struggling (and i really do struggle sometimes) i consider visiting the doctor. But i manage to pull myself out of it with the support of my husband. I am also an author and my writing helps sometimes too. I agree that you can never be completely free of depression but there are things than can help you cope with it.
                  I'm sorry for these losses in your family and your mum's stroke. I hope things continue to get better with time. You are so fortunate to have your family.

Comment

Thank you rose. I feel lucky to have them. They've been my rock. I'm also thankful every day that my mum is still with us. They didn't expect her to survive that night. Her heart stopped twice and she was gone but they brought her back. It all started when she had a fall at work and broke her ankle. She wasn't given blood thinners after the operation and a blood clot developed that travelled to her lung.

Comment

Who do you mean when you say your whole family are taking anti depressants?

There is not a single adult out there who has not had a grandparent pass. Itís expected. Itís a loss but an inevitable one.
                      As we get older , yes , aunts , uncles , parents pass. Also inevitable and a more significant loss.
                      Pets passing is also an anticipated inevitable loss since their life span is significantly shorter than ours.

Everyone goes through these losses. I am sorry for yours.
                      But these losses are not the reason people are on anti depressants.
                      People that suffer from depression already did before these losses. Because of their depression , they donít have the coping mechanisms to deal with it.

Counselling works wonders for people not clinically depressed but it does nothing for those who are.

Depression is not a mental illness , itís a chemical imbalance.
                      An inability to uptake serotonin.

Medication is a must for the clinically depressed and counselling is supportive therapy.

If one manages on counselling alone , they are the lucky ones that donít have a physical / chemical defect that affects serotonin uptake. Itís not that they are more mentally fit.

The most mentally fit people are those that are coping despite clinical depression.

Comment

My parents and my sister are on antidepressants. We went through a huge change when that happened to my mum. It was difficult to cope with but we adapted the best we could. It's hard, we go back and forth, cooking and cleaning while my dad works. Then my dad takes care of her in the evenings. She went from being a woman always on her feet, out and about looking after everyone, to being mostly imcompastitated. My grandparents that passed so close to each other were my mums parents.

I know pets and relatives pass away, it was the fact that there were so many in such a short space of time that made it very difficult to cope with. I feel like you were basically telling me 'this happens so suck it up'. It wasn't that easy!!!
                        Last edited by Dazed & Confused; November 16th, 2018, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Thank you rose. I feel lucky to have them. They've been my rock. I'm also thankful every day that my mum is still with us. They didn't expect her to survive that night. Her heart stopped twice and she was gone but they brought her back. It all started when she had a fall at work and broke her ankle. She wasn't given blood thinners after the operation and a blood clot developed that travelled to her lung.
                          This is tragic in and of itself especially when the clot could have been prevented. You're there for your family and they are there for you. I think this is what matters. This can't be easy on your dad either who has to work/leave the home. I don't know anything about the science behind depression but I do understand emotions. If you feel down you can always vent. I took up gardening again and painting. Remember to take time outs and cherish your hobbies and celebrate your little and big achievements no matter what they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Rose Mosse View Post

This is tragic in and of itself especially when the clot could have been prevented. You're there for your family and they are there for you. I think this is what matters. This can't be easy on your dad either who has to work/leave the home. I don't know anything about the science behind depression but I do understand emotions. If you feel down you can always vent. I took up gardening again and painting. Remember to take time outs and cherish your hobbies and celebrate your little and big achievements no matter what they are.
                            Im a writer and that helped alot, but lately I've neglected it a little. I plan to get back into again though x

Comment

Dazed & Confused I'm sorry for what you and you're family are going through and want you to have sunshine days very soon. You are fortunate to have a husband and kids as do I. Hang in there.

Comment

Working...
                              X