usa terrorism

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• usa terrorism

Jarrod W. Ramos is suspected of shooting and killing five individuals during a shooting spree at Maryland’s ‘Capital Gazette’ newspaper.

it must so scary living in the usa and reading about so many killers everyday.

how do usa people cope with this constant terrorism?

There is not constant terrorism in the US. Considering that we have 350 million people, terrorism is very rare. Now if you live in a big inner city, your chances of being shot go way up.

How do people in London live with the constant violence of moped crime?
    "What lips my lips have kissed and where and why I have forgotten." ~Edna St. Vincent Millay

Comment

tell your yarn to the parents of all the dead school children. it is not a country i would visit for sure

Comment

Well, I guess you wouldn't visit Chicago either, nor travel by plane, then.

But I don't really understand what your aiming at there?

Comment

Originally posted by truffe2miel View Post
          Well, I guess you wouldn't visit Chicago either, nor travel by plane, then.

But I don't really understand what your aiming at there?
          I'm thinking she's trying to make a statement on gun control.
          "What lips my lips have kissed and where and why I have forgotten." ~Edna St. Vincent Millay

Comment

My husband grew up in a difficult area of Miami and how he got out is one hell of a story. His relationship with guns is different from mine (a lot closer). We have had multiple conversations about it and I've lived in the US also. In the end you'll have to see people for being simply people, as creatures of their environment, upbringing and culture. It's myopic to believe that an entire country is not self-aware or understanding of its own culture or to label the gross population as being violent. If there's violence it's for a reason and until you actually get down to the dirty and live in a place, you won't understand why people are the way they are. My suggestion to you, Rabbit, is to travel a little more and speak to more people.

Comment

Seems there are more mass shootings in the USA then there is anywhere else. I suspect with Trump in office and dividing the country the way he is with his barely hidden bigotry, there will be even more of it in the near future.

Better gun laws, regulations and outright restrictions of certain types of guns would eventually help to lower the incidences but the NRA has too much money they contribute to garner political favor that it won't happen anytime soon unless the powers that be put a stop to organizations financially contributing to politicians.
              "First off, welcome to the Relationship Forums, You'll come to understand that I don't pull any punches when giving my opinion/advice and I hope you're not so sensitive to what I see as the truth of the matter." Me!

Comment

Originally posted by SarahLancaster View Post

I'm thinking she's trying to make a statement on gun control.
                Oh well, sounds logical. Talking about it seems a good idea indeed... Though this way of introducing a statement sounds very much like contempt to me, and thus not really useful.

Comment

Vote 1 John Howard
                  PLEASE use PARAGRAPHS when you post, we’re more likely to read your post.
                  For more information on paragraphs please press your enter key whilst typing a post.

They're = They are (eg, They're not wearing any clothes!)
                  Their = Possessive (eg, Check out their boobies!)
                  There = locality (eg There is a naked chick in the water)
                  Your = Possessive (eg I can see your boobies through that wet t-shirt)
                  You're = You are (eg You're getting dressed? Damn...)

Comment

Originally posted by rabbithabit View Post
                    Jarrod W. Ramos is suspected of shooting and killing five individuals during a shooting spree at Maryland's Capital Gazette newspaper.

how do usa people cope with this constant terrorism?
                    I don't think the incident you describe can be classed as 'terrorism'.

Originally posted by phasesofthemoon View Post
                    Seems there are more mass shootings in the USA then there is anywhere else.
                    Unfortunately it seems to have become a part of culture almost. I think if the media agreed to not print any details relating to the shooters it would help. Maintaining anonymity removes any 'get famous' appeal that may exist.

Originally posted by phasesofthemoon View Post
                    Better gun laws, regulations and outright restrictions of certain types of guns would eventually help to lower the incidences
                    Agreed. I think the background checks need to be more stringent, from what I have read on the subject. And I think you should have to be trained/prove you can safely handle one before being able to purchase. Think about the testing that you have to undergo to obtain a car license. But nothing for guns? Seems daft to me.

I find gun control to be an interesting topic. The statistics (for USA) don't indicate any correlation between number of guns owned and rates of gun crime, and it varies vastly from state to state, indicating that 'gun culture' may play a part.

Of course speaking from the UK here so no experience in any of this. Too busy keeping my eyes open for knives and mopeds!
                    Last edited by whatshappeningreg; July 2nd, 2018, 08:55 AM.
                    Just because someone's by your side, it doesn't mean they're on your side.

Comment

Originally posted by whatshappeningreg View Post

Agreed. I think the background checks need to be more stringent, from what I have read on the subject. And I think you should have to be trained/prove you can safely handle one before being able to purchase. Think about the testing that you have to undergo to obtain a car license. But nothing for guns? Seems daft to me.
                      Seems daft to me too. You should see what my daughter and SIL had to go through to be able to buy their guns. After all the gun safety classes they had to take they also needed to get three people to vouch for their mental health including their doctors opinion on that.

Of course speaking from the UK here so no experience in any of this. Too busy keeping my eyes open for knives and mopeds!
                      lolzzz... It's the electric scooters here. You can't even hear them coming. Yikes!

"First off, welcome to the Relationship Forums, You'll come to understand that I don't pull any punches when giving my opinion/advice and I hope you're not so sensitive to what I see as the truth of the matter." Me!

Comment

Wow, I didn't realize so many of you guys don't live in the US! This is pretty cool.

I live in the US, born and raised. One semester in college, on our last days of finals, everyone in the classroom including our professor got a text message saying "ACTIVE SHOOTER, SEEK SHELTER," or something to that effect. It was the most terrifying and surreal thing I've ever experienced. Our professor turned the lights off and we just huddled against the wall in the dark. Some of us were crying, one girl had a panic attack. We had no way to lock the door, and no updates were coming on the situation. We were just sitting in the dark, texting our friends and family and silencing calls from people who were trying to reach us to see if we were okay (it was all over the news at this point). I remember texting my brother and his then girlfriend (they attended the same college but were off campus for lunch at the time) and telling them NOT to tell my parents what was happening until it was over because I didn't want them to panic or to try to get to the campus.

Turns out the whole thing was a false alarm and no one really cared about the incident that much once they realized the threat wasn't real. But the reality, when it was happening, we all thought it was. I sat in a classroom for almost an hour, waiting to die.

I've never been more scared of anything, and it blows my mind that people think having and owning a gun is some sort of God given right and not a privilege in my country. Getting a gun is ridiculously easy, and whenever there is some sort of shooting or terrorist attack a lot of news outlets demonstrate how easy that is by having one of their reporters go and purchase a gun. Somebody bought a gun with an EXPIRED license in under thirty minutes. What, the fuck.

Ironically, I'm a school teacher now, and I don't feel safe at all. I get chills sometimes when I'm in my classroom and I hear the AC in the hallway kick on, or a door nearby close. I don't like going to concerts or events where large crowds of people congregate. We are so, so, so, vulnerable in this country. People are also so, so, so, very stupid in my opinion for advocating against safer gun legislation. It should NOT be that easy to kill people, to kill KIDS, in the United States. But, it seems like the majority of people value their right to own a firearm more than they value the right of everyone else to be safe in their community, their schools, etc.

Comment

Working...
                        X