No announcement yet.

Are you doing a Keto diet also ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have heard about this one "keto diet" But honestly didn't try for this one yet. If this one and helps I will surely try for it.

Comment

I have been on the Keto diet since April 10th and I have lost 46 pounds.
      There is overwhelming evidence that the higher the level of self-esteem, the more likely one will treat others with respect, kindness, and generosity. People who do not experience self-love have little or no capacity to love others.

Comment

That sounds awesome! Do you feel more energetic too, foh4k (less prone to fatigue)?

Comment

Originally posted by foh4k View Post
          That is awesome !! 46 lbs . Is no joke at all !

Iím curious, how tall are you and what was your beginning weight ?

Have you been doing Interminent fasting with that also ?

The biggest problem with this diet is having to buy all new clothes !

Rose ,
          In my personal experience, I did have an increased energy level , however the last few days I have been very sluggish, but I think itís because I have had a death in the family and I think it drained me emotionally.
          It’s time to let go , you have to sacrifice the life you have for the life you want !

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about the death in your family, PC. Hope you're feeling better soon.
            Sadness and emotional downturns can definitely affect your physical health and increase fatigue no matter how healthy a person. Mental health is really important. Do you have support with each other (in your family) during this time? I think it's times like this that health is especially vulnerable. Make sure you stay in ketosis and stay hydrated. Water is all important!

Comment

Originally posted by Professor Chaos View Post

That is awesome !! 46 lbs . Is no joke at all !

Iím curious, how tall are you and what was your beginning weight ?

Have you been doing Interminent fasting with that also ?

The biggest problem with this diet is having to buy all new clothes !

Rose ,
              In my personal experience, I did have an increased energy level , however the last few days I have been very sluggish, but I think itís because I have had a death in the family and I think it drained me emotionally.
              I started at 256 pounds at 5'10" I was overweight no doubt.
              I do not do any fasting but have changed to eat protein every morning so my body burns energy and fat.
              I notice if I do not eat something I tend to yo-yo up and down a few pounds and plateau.

It's a process And yes I don't feel as groggy in the morning.
              There is overwhelming evidence that the higher the level of self-esteem, the more likely one will treat others with respect, kindness, and generosity. People who do not experience self-love have little or no capacity to love others.

Comment

Originally posted by foh4k View Post
                *Reaches out and pinches Foh's new ass*
                "First off, welcome to the Relationship Forums, You'll come to understand that I don't pull any punches when giving my opinion/advice and I hope you're not so sensitive to what I see as the truth of the matter." Me!

Comment

Personally I believe in a well balanced diet not being overly restrictive on any of the 3 macro nutrients ie fat, protein and carbs .
                  There is a lot of misleading information out there.

If someone feels less sluggish by cutting down on carbs, then they automatically blame all carbs, however it might be that by simply cutting out on carbs , what they have actually done is removed a good they are mildly intolerant to, such as yeast or gluten.
                  A yeast or gluten free diet might have worked just as well (for that sluggish feeling , bloating etc, not weight loss)

Similarly cutting out fat or protein might actually make one feel better because that also coincidentally is cutting out lactose.

In order to lose weight, people simply need to reduce calorie intake.
                  In order to "feel" better , people simply need to find out exactly what it is that makes them feel sluggish. And that can't be determined by Cutting out protein, carbs or fat. That can only be determined by reducing one minor thing at a time. Be it yeast, gluten, lactose etc. And for a significant amount of time (maybe 4 weeks) while including everything else in your diet.

Testing negative for an allergy doesn't mean you are not intolerant.

I know if I eat too much gluten, I bloat. But I tested negative for allergy. My niece tested positive.
                  I did test positive for both bakers and brewers yeast , but I love both bread and beer and so I put up with the symptoms . Neither is going to kill me .

Fad diets will absolutely give you desired short term results (feeling better , weight loss etc) , however , these fad diets have yet to show the long term effects , statistics on that won't be available until all the guinea pigs following them have done so for a significant time (maybe up to 20 years?) and report their results.

I would suggest consulting a dietician , over following random online reports of what is only short term data .

Comment

Originally posted by Maggiemay4791 View Post
                    Personally I believe in a well balanced diet not being overly restrictive on any of the 3 macro nutrients ie fat, protein and carbs .
                    There is a lot of misleading information out there.

If someone feels less sluggish by cutting down on carbs, then they automatically blame all carbs, however it might be that by simply cutting out on carbs , what they have actually done is removed a good they are mildly intolerant to, such as yeast or gluten.
                    A yeast or gluten free diet might have worked just as well (for that sluggish feeling , bloating etc, not weight loss)

Similarly cutting out fat or protein might actually make one feel better because that also coincidentally is cutting out lactose.

In order to lose weight, people simply need to reduce calorie intake.
                    In order to "feel" better , people simply need to find out exactly what it is that makes them feel sluggish. And that can't be determined by Cutting out protein, carbs or fat. That can only be determined by reducing one minor thing at a time. Be it yeast, gluten, lactose etc. And for a significant amount of time (maybe 4 weeks) while including everything else in your diet.

Testing negative for an allergy doesn't mean you are not intolerant.

I know if I eat too much gluten, I bloat. But I tested negative for allergy. My niece tested positive.
                    I did test positive for both bakers and brewers yeast , but I love both bread and beer and so I put up with the symptoms . Neither is going to kill me .

Fad diets will absolutely give you desired short term results (feeling better , weight loss etc) , however , these fad diets have yet to show the long term effects , statistics on that won't be available until all the guinea pigs following them have done so for a significant time (maybe up to 20 years?) and report their results.

I would suggest consulting a dietician , over following random online reports of what is only short term data .

While I certainly see your point in a healthy diet , My belief is , we need to pay attention to how our bodies respond to certain foods , which you obviously understand and follow this , based on your personal understanding of how gluten and yeast effect your body .

For me personally , as someone with diabetes and epilepsy , a low carb diet has worked wonders for me , I will admit that it is still new to my body , so I pay close attention to the effects, both how I feel , checking my blood sugar and with blood test results that I work with my Dr. on .
                    I have lost over 20 lbs , 1 1/2 inches off my waist , I am no longer taking any medicine for diabetes and have noticed other improvements in my physical and mental health.

With that being said we have to face the fact that in the United States the obesity rate is over 39 %

https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

processed food is riddled with sugars and carbohydrates, mainly because itís cheaper to manufacture and the preparation is very fast and letís be honest it taste really good !!

However if we are concerned with our personal health we have to realize that this food is very bad for us . So avoiding these foods may seem very extreme to most people .

As as far ď fad ď is concerned we have to understand that , for one , the food pyramid that most of us have looked at as the definitive guide to a healthy diet has only been in the US since 1992 ! ( this was surprising to me , I feel like itís been around forever) and it was published by the USDA ( Agriculture is the key word here ) Iím not going into a conspiracy theory here , but itís worth considering the possible motives .

Food pyramid origins
                    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food...id_(nutrition)

a Harvard study showing some of the flaws in the pyramid.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutriti...amid-problems/

If we compare the longevity of a traditional food pyramid diet compared to the Ketogentic diet , the food pyramid diet is move of a ď fadĒ then the Ketogentic diet . The Ketogentic diet has been around since the 1920ís compared the Food Pyramid ( original created in 1974 in Sweden )
                    Orignally the Keto diet was created to help children with epilepsy however they soon found there where other benefits, weight loss , mental clarity , less joint inflammation ect ) but we have to keep in mind that in the 1920ís there was much less food available, less processed food and people where a lot more active then today . So there wasnít much focus on diabetes or obesity .

Origins of the Ketogentic diet :
                    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet

With all that being said , I still stand on my initial comment , If We pay attention , we know what our bodies response to and I honestly believe we are all different in how our bodies process different foods .
                    Some people have very successful results on a keto diet and some have very successful results on the food pyramid diet , as long we are eating the foods that make us feel healthy , then we are all good.

It’s time to let go , you have to sacrifice the life you have for the life you want !

Comment

Good info, Maggie! I definitely agree about being cautious and maintaining balance. As mentioned I (we) do eat carbs ...every day and we also manage the carb intake depending on energy output required for any strenuous activity. My husband and I have been in perpetual ketosis for 8 years. It works very well for us and our lifestyle. For me personally it has very little to do with weight loss. I do encourage anyone interested in living in relatively constant ketosis to read more about it and continuing seeing your doctor every 6 months for bloodwork. We do the full check up with blood tests at our separate drs about twice a year to make sure things like cholesterol are low. My husband also has his testosterone and hormone levels checked. We don't have any issues to date. What we do know is that when we fall out of ketosis, issues do occur and we don't feel good. It's a personal choice really. Above all I think staying active is very important. I don't believe in sticking to a strict diet by the book. You really have to know your own body and what it needs and respond accordingly.

Comment

Working...
                      X