Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you doing a Keto diet also ?

Hello ,

About 6 weeks ago I started doing the Keto diet , its essential a low carb diet ( < 20 grams a day ) . initially I started doing it to lose weight , however there are benefits that far surpassed weight loss .

I have type 2 diabetes and went years ignoring it , eating anything that I wanted , not taking my meds and not testing my blood sugar levels . Last year I was in the hospital for an unrelated problem, but they checked my blood sugar and it was insanely high !! Over 500 !!! The healthy range is between 80 - 120 !
    It scared the crap out of me , 500 is the beginning of the ď lose you body parts ďrange !!! So I started eating better and was controlling my levels better , but few months ago I started going to the gym and then I learned of the Keto diet and decided to give it a try .
    Omg !!! It is the best thing I have ever done ! Yes , I am losing weight , but more importantly , my diabetes is under control so good that I no longer need to take medicine for it ! My blood sugar is in the healthy range of a non diabetic !! I still test twice a day and they are healthy ! The side affects are incredible, I feel so great , energetic, no depression , my nerve pain has gone away and my ED problems are getting better and Iím losing weight !!!
    Ok so after all that , I was wondering if anyone else has tried this Keto diet ( for me itís not temporary, itís a lifestyle change that I am keeping !! ) I would like to find out what kind of effects it had on you , and get some advice , and talk about
    Keto ( Bulletproof, Butter ) Coffee , in my opinion the best coffee ever !!!
    I hope there are others on here who are doing this , it would be great to talk to others about this !!!
    It’s time to let go , you have to sacrifice the life you have for the life you want !

I've been considering it.
    I've always managed to lose weight with just regular exercise (biking to work) and eating plenty of fruit and veggies and cutting down on sugar, fat and portion sizes.
    This time however I'm on week 3 and I've not lost any weight. So I might have to put in some extra effort.

Good to know the Keto works for you. I think i'll gie it a try.

Comment

It has has worked very well , I know everyone is different, my friend has been doing it but is not getting any results, but I think she is cheating ! Lol !
      She loves her ice cream !!!! Canít really blame her , can you ?
      It’s time to let go , you have to sacrifice the life you have for the life you want !

Comment

Professor Chaos I'm not on keto but no longer consume sugar, sweets, carbs (potatoes / bread / pasta / rice), same thing with any beverages which contain sugar, artificial sweeteners and the like; only water & plain green tea or English tea w/lemon (no milk & sugar). As for proteins, lean proteins such as fish and chicken. I don't eat eggs everyday; just 2 whole eggs per week and egg whites at random. I avoid fatty meats, pork, beef and I don't eat butter and dairy either. I drink unsweetened soy milk. I eat whole grain, unprocessed carbs in minuscule amounts. Permissible carbs for me are quinoa, spelt, legumes, farrow, steel cut or old-fashioned oats, etc. It is restrictive but I've since lost 35 pounds in conjunction with diligent exercise at least 3 - 4x per week. After several weeks, I don't even crave food which I ate in the past and during social occasions, I'm a very picky eater. There is no temptation to cheat because after feeling healthier, I remember what it felt like to cheat on my diet and felt awful for several days thereafter so it wasn't worth it.
        "If you bungle raising your children, whatever else you do well in life doesn't matter very much."

Comment

Chanelle , How did you create a link to my profile like that ?

I believe a low carb diet , is absolutely fantastic ! The more research I do on the topic it really seems that carbs are not necessary for us humans , but damn they taste good !!!

The Keto diet is just a low carb diet in a nut shell , but I have also been doing intermittent fasting along with it
          and man it is wonderful ( for me at least )

Thats great you lost 35 + pounds !!
          It such a great accomplishment , you should be proud !!

Ive been using coconut oil a lot the MCT oils in it are amazing for energy and for fat burning !

Comment

Professor Chaos Thanks. I ate "normally" just like mainstream America and while I was able to get away with it back in the day, eating without abandon no longer works for my health. I need to be extra, extra, extra careful with my diet and exercise regimen as diabetes, pulmonary embolism and heart disease is prevalent on both sides of my family tree. Therefore, it's not a matter of looking good aesthetically, it's a matter of longevity for my lifespan.

I love carbs just like the next person. Give me buttered french toast, waffles, English muffins, PB&J sandwich, dinner rolls, ravioli, lasagna, spaghetti, garlic bread, baked potatoes, rice, cookies, pies, cakes, chips and all the carbs my heart desires. However, I can't. #1 My genetics dictate that carbs will become the death of me if I dare. #2 I feel exhausted if I were to eat like the average American. Carbs make me drowsy just like alcoholic beverages. (I don't drink as I'm a teetotaler.) Carbs put me to sleep. And carbs pile on the pounds in no time not to mention my blood tests are out-of-whack and my doctor admonishes me for getting sloppy with my eating habits.

Whenever I'm at restaurants, I have to be picky with my menu choices, Whenever I'm at social gatherings, someone's house, holiday celebrations or parties, again I have to be a picky eater. I make sure I eat before I leave so I'm not famished by the time I arrive at social settings and to ensure I won't starve should there be nothing healthy to offer at the buffet table. I bring healthy snacks and water with me for outings or excursions.

At first you'll feel deprived but after a week or two, your body craves a certain way of healthy eating and eating the "normal" way will be repulsive to you. It becomes a life long habit after practicing a new lifestyle change.

I also exercise. At first, I loathed dragging my sorry self out for exercise and now it has become my new healthy addiction. I feel lousy without exercise. And, with a great, new diet, you'll have a lot of energy and feel like a lean, mean body machine. Your muscles will become toned. I stay on point with my exercise schedule. You'll look and feel great inside and out.

Diet and exercise changed my outlook on life. I became more focused on myself instead of fretting about those who couldn't care less about me. It's a healthy distraction, diversion and transformation. Best of all, you'll build high self-esteem and incredible self-confidence. There is nothing better and I'm never reverting to the sloth I once was.
            "If you bungle raising your children, whatever else you do well in life doesn't matter very much."

Comment

I'm guessing this keto diet doesn't include beer & wine!

Comment

Originally posted by Monmouth View Post
                I'm guessing this keto diet doesn't include beer & wine!
                At first I thought, absolutely not , however after doing a little research. I found that a glass of wine ( red or white ) only has about 3 gms of carbs , and a glass of beer 8 grams .

So , wine is definitely a better choice .

Comment

Prof, I use GG Scandanavian Bran Crispbreads. I buy them on Amazon. 4 carbs and 3 grams of fiber. Practically a wash.

They take some getting used to, but I sprinkle parmesan cheese and garlic powder on them. Delicious.
                  "What lips my lips have kissed and where and why I have forgotten." ~Edna St. Vincent Millay

Comment

My husband and I are years-long into it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. My one warning to you is to watch the sugar replacements: they are often not what they seem.

Comment

Originally posted by SarahLancaster View Post
                      Prof, I use GG Scandanavian Bran Crispbreads. I buy them on Amazon. 4 carbs and 3 grams of fiber. Practically a wash.

They take some getting used to, but I sprinkle parmesan cheese and garlic powder on them. Delicious.
                      Thanks !!!
                      Definitely going to check those out !!

Comment

Originally posted by Rose Mosse View Post
                        My husband and I are years-long into it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. My one warning to you is to watch the sugar replacements: they are often not what they seem.
                        Absolutely! Luckily I donít use any sugar replacements , I donít like the tast ! Iím much happy with no sugar at all.

I was wondering , have you reached you weight goals and if so do you do anything different to maintain it ?

Also , do you do intermittent fasting ?
                        Iíve been just eating one a day and drink bulletproof coffee and water in between and
                        I donít feel deprived of food at all !!

Comment

I have heard about keto diet but didn't use it ever. Will try for this one later.

Comment

Originally posted by Williamrock View Post
                            I have heard about keto diet but didn't use it ever. Will try for this one later.
                            Between going to the gym and doing keto with intermittent fasting ( I only eat once a day ) I am averaging 2.5 - 3 lbs of weight loss a week plus about a 1/2 inch off my waist a week plus I feel great .

Of course everyone is different , but if your thinking of doing it , I would start and just give it a try .

Comment

Hey PC. I don't like sugar much either but I do have a sweet tooth that is easily satisfied by a few splenda packets in tea and coffee. I generally have one cup of either per day, no preference or depending on the mood. We also use splenda occasionally in fat bombs but fat bombs have the potential for plenty of carbs adding up with coconut or almond flours so we limit these. Too many and we usually feel sluggish or off.

I'm 4'11'' at 135lbs so I'm fine with my weight ordinarily except when tagging along with my husband mountaineering. I'd like to lose another 10lbs purely to be more limber going up and down but I'm not sure what that does for my muscles as we do carry 15-30lbs of pack weight up (and camp up in the mountains also). I'm training now for a big climb in August but mostly cardio and legs. My back is strong from my own sport(kayaking) for many years. Mountaineering is actually his thing and something I got into when we met. In regards to maintaining the weight loss: After a few months on keto your body will naturally gravitate towards foods high in fat and you'll seek protein if you're active. During active months we usually don't shy away from carbs. Like Sarah, we have a particular brand of low carb thin lavash bread which we use in place of naan and hot dog buns. It's only accessible at the low carb speciality store maybe 30-40 min from where we live. We don't do anything extra to maintain weight other than to watch what we eat (read all ingredients in foods) and we are fairly active. I think part of any diet and health maintenance should include a healthy amount of movement and exercise.

We fast and like you, we also eat one meal a day with keto snacks at night. You'll learn that after some time your body will burn energy differently even when you're sleeping. Don't feel bad about eating keto snacks at night. Some fav keto snacks are calabrese ham or any ham or pepperoni. We stay away from any higher carb products in the evenings. Carbs are mostly for recovery after a very high energy output (full day of climbing, kayaking, etc) or prior to. Over time you'll also notice that you'll have a massive appetite and when you actually start eating, you'll fill up fast. It won't take much to make you feel full. This takes about six months. The first six months your appetite will be ravenous. I used to eat 5-6 burger patties in one sitting slathered in mayo and butter. Now about 2-3 do it for me, one meal a day if that's the meal we're having. We usually go 12-20 hours without eating. We do drink tons of water. I drink about 10-12 L per day. Hope this helps. Keep it up.
                              Last edited by Rose Mosse; July 10th, 2018, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X