No announcement yet.

Weight Loss/Carb Cycling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not just carbs but sugar. My partner is 7% body fat due to training and mountaineering. We are avid outdoors people and pretty active. Once you cut down carbs and sugar dramatically it's difficult for the body to break those down and we generally don't feel good at all. We don't celebrate birthdays with cake for example which makes it a bit odd if there are family members around. We don't inhibit anyone else from eating what they like though. He consumes far more protein than I do. I like keeping it very simple.

Comment

Exercise, drink water and eat good carbs in moderation. I find that frequent healthy snacking instead of 3 big meals per day helps keep weight under control. Also, I stay busy so I don't have time to eat or not eat as much. I avoid all "factory food," anything "white." I avoid gluten and I don't eat gluten-free products or cook gluten-free either. For me, the no wheat, no meat, no dairy diet has drastically reduced my pain and inflammation, too. I eat some chicken and fish, no mammals. On most days of the week, I prefer eating vegetarian meals. I've since lost 35 pounds.
      "If you bungle raising your children, whatever else you do well in life doesn't matter very much."

Comment

Although I really hate commenting on a thread that is three years old, I will put my two cents in. There is no such thing as a good carb or a bad carb. A carb is a carb. I'm a type 1 diabetic, and carbs are very bad for me because my body can't process them. But I agree that if you can process carbs, you should use them in moderation.
        "What lips my lips have kissed and where and why I have forgotten." ~Edna St. Vincent Millay

Comment

Bad carbs = Processed carbs - bread, pasta, factory food. Good carbs = oats, quinoa, spelt, amaranth, millet, etc. I eat good carbs but not a lot of it. It's not for everyone but it's the healthier choice if you can eat it.
          "If you bungle raising your children, whatever else you do well in life doesn't matter very much."

Comment

Chanelle, those are bad foods. Not bad carbs. Again, a carb is a carb. Your body doesn't distinguish between a carb that comes from pasta and a carb that comes from oatmeal. Carbs that are eaten with fiber lead to a slower uptake of the glucose. Carbs from processed foods tend to turn into glucose faster.
            "What lips my lips have kissed and where and why I have forgotten." ~Edna St. Vincent Millay

Comment

Sarah, My body distinguishes between processed and unprocessed carbs. I gain weight and feel very sluggish from eating processed carbs yet whenever I eat unprocessed carbs, I don't have such symptoms. As an athlete, I definitely feel the difference.

Comment

Chanelle, your body is distinguishing between processed and unprocessed food.

Take a piece of white bread and a piece of whole wheat bread. Let's say they both contain 20 carbs. The white bread is made from wheat that has had the fiber stripped from it. Therefore, the 20 carbs in the white bread will spike your glucose a lot faster than the whole wheat carbs that still have the fiber with them. But the carbs themselves in both breads still have the same chemical composition.

Comment

Working...
                X