Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diet And Weight Loss (or Gain)

Hey everyone,
    I'm fairly new on this site, but I thought the "Health and Lifestyle" area was missing a little section like this. For everyone to voice their diet or weight related concerns/goals and get advice and support. I'll kick it off: I would like to lose a significant (and therefore, undisclosed) amount of weight within the next few months, without supplements preferably (and if I must, the cheaper, the better). Suggestions or similar situations?

Re: Diet And Weight Loss (or Gain)

Well, health and lifestyle isn't missing weight loss and we've had many threads around it but I'm always happy to share what I try and work by for weight control (some days easier than others)

The four rules I try and live by are
    1) Eat better
    2) Eat less
    3) Drink more water
    4) Drink less carbonated/alcohol
    PLEASE use PARAGRAPHS when you post, we’re more likely to read your post.
    For more information on paragraphs please press your enter key whilst typing a post.

They're = They are (eg, They're not wearing any clothes!)
    Their = Possessive (eg, Check out their boobies!)
    There = locality (eg There is a naked chick in the water)
    Your = Possessive (eg I can see your boobies through that wet t-shirt)
    You're = You are (eg You're getting dressed? Damn...)

Comment

Take pasta, bread, crackers, anything that has to do with bread products out of your diet. I lost 30lbs in three months by doing that, and have lost almost all of my baby weight I gained with my son. Best health decision I've ever made.
      "I believe in Christ as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."
      -C.S. Lewis

"Love is not an affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained."
      -C.S. Lewis

Comment

I've lost 6 pounds since October. I've been working out twice a day and cut cake (yes, sadness) and fried food out of my diet. I don't need to lose much. Just 9 pounds. Still hard, but doable.

I also downloaded MyFitnessPal and keep track of my calorie intake.

Comment

I lost 10 pounds the easiest way.

1. Count calories (consume less than burned by a few hundred each day). I used MyFitnessPal to track.
          2. Replace caloric drinks with non-caloric drinks.

Win.

Comment

Are there people out there who don't struggle with weight loss? I eat pretty well, have never been on any kind of diet myself, there is no habit of fast food in my culture and my diet is more like the Mediterranean diet... I'm 5'4 and 125lbs. Neither skinny nor chubby, so I don't think I need to lose any
            Last edited by Celine; January 24th, 2014, 03:35 AM.

Comment

Women tend to struggle more because their body has naturally higher fat composition compared to muscle, thus men burn more calories and can lose weight (fat weight) easier.

Comment

I'm struggling and I'm not 100% sure why. I'm 5'3" and about 136 pounds. I fit a size 6 dress pant and a medium shirt, almost a small. I would ideally like to weigh 125/120 but I can't seem to get into the lower 130s let alone 125. I used to hover near 131/133 but my new job has seen a spike in everything, not just weight gained. I wear a BodyBugg and it estimates that on work days where I do a light workout after, I take almost 10,000 steps and burn about 2400 calories. I've added more food to my diet so the deficit seems more reasonable but I haven't been doing it long enough to see any kind of return yet.

I'm going to ask my doctor for advice the next time I see her but I anticipate receiving a fairly useless answer. She doesn't really listen. I need 10+ pounds off and I need my digestive system to not suck. But it's been my experience that these aren't problems worth addressing...
                "Why are you always smiling?"
                "Because it's all so fucking hysterical."

Hier kommt die Sonne

Comment

FireFall, I've been there - hell, I'm STILL there - and it ain't easy. Finding a method that works for you is "simple" - it boils down to trial and error. For me, I found that cutting back on starchy foods, switching to just water, and upping my activity levels got me down to a certain point... but I got stuck for about a year at the same point no matter what I did differently (including up to 2-5 hours a day of hard exercise - I was training for a multi-day walk), and then I got frustrated, and then I got sick, and then I gained a lot of the weight back. Now, I can't seem to find the focus to try again, even though I know I need it.

That said... the most important tool is one you'll stick with. Whether that's counting calories, pre-measuring your food, the perfect combination of walking/running/zumba/yoga/swimming/spelunking for exercise... it has to be something you can deal with, because any combination that is torture to you is one you just won't do.

And now, I'm gonna start cleaning out my kitchen so maybe I can try this again myself.
                  The worthwhile problems are the ones you can really solve or help solve, the ones you can really contribute something to. ...
                  No problem is too small or too trivial if we can really do something about it.
                  -- Richard Feynman (Nobel laureate (physics), 1918-1988)

Use your spoons wisely.

Give it time. Always, give it time.

Comment

I've found that staying physically active really keeps me on track. It doesn't matter if it's a long walk or a hard session at the gym. As long as I stay physically active, I don't gain weight as easily. I actually read about how exercise decreases your appetite. There are specific chemicals in your body that are responsible for your appetite. Exercise decreases these chemicals. I notice on days when I am more physically active, I tend to not eat as much, whereas days when I'm being a couch potato (like today) I tend to snack more.

Originally posted by Dasmi View Post
                    I'm struggling and I'm not 100% sure why. I'm 5'3" and about 136 pounds. I fit a size 6 dress pant and a medium shirt, almost a small. I would ideally like to weigh 125/120 but I can't seem to get into the lower 130s let alone 125. I used to hover near 131/133 but my new job has seen a spike in everything, not just weight gained. I wear a BodyBugg and it estimates that on work days where I do a light workout after, I take almost 10,000 steps and burn about 2400 calories. I've added more food to my diet so the deficit seems more reasonable but I haven't been doing it long enough to see any kind of return yet.

I'm going to ask my doctor for advice the next time I see her but I anticipate receiving a fairly useless answer. She doesn't really listen. I need 10+ pounds off and I need my digestive system to not suck. But it's been my experience that these aren't problems worth addressing...
                    I'm around your height and weight also. I'm not fat, but I would love to lose about 5-10 pounds for pure vanity reasons. Like you, it's been almost impossible for me to get down below 130... At one point in time about 2 years ago, the scale showed that I was 129. I was exercising a lot at that time, though. It's just so difficult for me to get past 135. I eat extremely healthy and I exercise, but my body just doesn't get to 120-125 like I want it to. And it's not like I'm super skinny or anything, so I know that my body isn't starving. I'm fit, but I have these fluffy love handles that I hate. Losing 5 pounds wouldn't hurt my body at all, but it just doesn't want to give it up...

So yea, I definitely know where you're coming from. I've found that for some unknown reason, it's more difficult for females on the shorter side to lose weight. And whenever we gain the slightest weight, it seems to be more noticeable. I gained 5 pounds over Christmas break, and I got several comments about how I've turned fluffy, whereas my tall friends who also gained weight got no comments lol....

Comment

I've actually found that on days I exercise, my weight sometimes climbs a bit. It'll go up several ounces one day, several ounces another, and it frustrates me.

I overate a bit yesterday, a common issue on nights when I go out; fortunately they are rare. But I only went over by about 4 calories and I'm back on track this morning with bananas for breakfast. But between two days of crappy eating and my TotM, my weight is back to 137.4. So it feels like over the course of a week, with overall healthier eating, more exercise, more focus on my calorie intake, the net result has literally been a 2 ounce loss because even before today my weight has been creeping back up bit by bit. My BodyBugg can say I burned 2400 calories and ate 1900 and there would still be a creep up instead of a slight drop down. Of course, the pathetically optimistic way of going about it would be to say maybe it's my TotM and hope I lose afterward.

My lowest weight was 131 while working a desk job and eating sporadically. Now that I walk 9000+ steps a day and work out, I'm gaining. I really don't know what to make of this when I've tried eating less, I've tried eating more, and up the number on the scale goes anyways.

Hier kommt die Sonne

Comment

Maybe add measurements to your progress indicator. Muscle growth will add weight, so measuring your waist, chest, thighs, arms, etc can help indicate if you are truly losing fat.

Comment

Guys, don't freak out about daily fluctuations. It's just water retention. Weigh yourself once a day or once a week or something, keep track of it, and don't beat yourself up. What you want is a slow but steady downwards TREND week-over-week. Seriously, either use a spreadsheet and graph it, or find some online tool to track it.

For me, I'm down to around 251lbs from a whopping 280 or so back in August. I want to get to around 240 by March, and 230 by May, but beyond that, measuring by just weight won't be productive anymore due to muscle mass, etc. so I'll switch the metric to belly circumference. Maybe I should start keeping track of that right away as well just to be sure. I had to order new pants the other day cause my current ones kept falling below my ass. it's a good problem to have.

I think you can just create an account on fitbit.com even if you don't have a device. You can use the site for things like tracking weight, and tracking food. The community enters food items (copies the nutritional info - you can do it too with new food items), and then when you eat something, you just have to find it, enter how much you ate, and it will show you how much of everything (calories, total carbs, fiber, protein, fats, sodium, and a few others) you've consumed. It's actually a good exercise to do that for a typical day, so you can get a really honest look at what your typical day of eating looks like.
                          %0|%0

Comment

They aren't daily fluctuations, I've been at this weight range for a long time. At your weight, it'll peel off faster than it will for me, it's been rather hard just to remove a few pounds and keep it off. I track my calories through BodyMedia.

Hier kommt die Sonne

Comment

good diet and exercise both are very important to loss weight fast and stay fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X