Members: 15,606
Threads: 38,411
Online: 28

Newest Member: dmfb

Go Back   The Relationship Forums > The Relationship > Down in the Dumps

Notices

Down in the Dumps Breaking up is a difficult time. How does it go? Denial, Anger, acceptance? No... that's not it. Come to this forum to find out what it's really like.

Unread November 9th, 2012, 01:25 PM   #1
Imbebot

Imbebot is on a distinguished road
Default Did I do the right thing to break up with him?

We were together for six months. He's a nice and cool guy. He treats me really well when were together. I could say he treats me like a princess. He pays for our dates. He's so fun to hang out with. But when were apart, I feel unimportant. I wouldn't hear from hear for a few days and when I call or text him he would not reply sometimes. I see him one weekend a week and we always had a good time.
It's the second time I broke up with him. The first was for the same reason. He came back to me. I ignored his calls and texts but I really like this guy so I decided to give him a chance. Now we're back to where we were before. Did I do the right thing to break up with him? He's a kind of guy that's alot of girls would want to be with. He's attractive, funny educated and have a great career. I feel so happy when I'm with him. He couldn't treat me better than the way he does but the apart time sucks. I feel unimportant. We spend more time apart than together so I feel more taken for granted than appreciated.
Imbebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread November 9th, 2012, 08:33 PM   #2
audrey

audrey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Did I do the right thing to break up with him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbebot View Post
We were together for six months. He's a nice and cool guy. He treats me really well when were together. I could say he treats me like a princess. He pays for our dates. He's so fun to hang out with. But when were apart, I feel unimportant. I wouldn't hear from hear for a few days and when I call or text him he would not reply sometimes. I see him one weekend a week and we always had a good time.
It's the second time I broke up with him. The first was for the same reason. He came back to me. I ignored his calls and texts but I really like this guy so I decided to give him a chance. Now we're back to where we were before. Did I do the right thing to break up with him? He's a kind of guy that's alot of girls would want to be with. He's attractive, funny educated and have a great career. I feel so happy when I'm with him. He couldn't treat me better than the way he does but the apart time sucks. I feel unimportant. We spend more time apart than together so I feel more taken for granted than appreciated.

Hmm that's weird. Maybe he's a guy that needs a LOT of space. But if you're unhappy and this is your second breakup I'd say you did the right thing.

If you are spending a majority of your time wondering what he's up to and you feel empty and distant, it probably isn't worth the 3 hours you spend once a week together. Is the stress of the week worth the few hours you have with him? It doesn't sound like it. Listen to your mind and heart when it's telling you to do something, your gut instinct to break up with him the first time may have been false, but for you to do it again says something.
audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread November 9th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #3
foh4k
Elite Romantic

foh4k has a reputation beyond reputefoh4k has a reputation beyond reputefoh4k has a reputation beyond reputefoh4k has a reputation beyond reputefoh4k has a reputation beyond reputefoh4k has a reputation beyond reputefoh4k has a reputation beyond reputefoh4k has a reputation beyond reputefoh4k has a reputation beyond reputefoh4k has a reputation beyond reputefoh4k has a reputation beyond repute

Get a grip. Your insecurity broke you up in the first place. Now your getting back together and breaking up because you can't handle a few days of no contact?

I would never call you again.

Get a grip and leave him be. And work on your own securities. He's probably smart enough to see that in you and keeps his distance, until you want to cozy up and have sex with him. Then he goes back to being distant because your showing him your insecure.
There is overwhelming evidence that the higher the level of self-esteem, the more likely one will treat others with respect, kindness, and generosity. People who do not experience self-love have little or no capacity to love others.
foh4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread November 17th, 2012, 06:08 AM   #4
StayHealthy
Flirtatious

StayHealthy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by audrey View Post
Hmm that's weird. Maybe he's a guy that needs a LOT of space. But if you're unhappy and this is your second breakup I'd say you did the right thing.

If you are spending a majority of your time wondering what he's up to and you feel empty and distant, it probably isn't worth the 3 hours you spend once a week together. Is the stress of the week worth the few hours you have with him? It doesn't sound like it. Listen to your mind and heart when it's telling you to do something, your gut instinct to break up with him the first time may have been false, but for you to do it again says something.
I have to totally agree with this. It is time to move on.
StayHealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread November 17th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #5
vashti
Love Guru

vashti has a spectacular aura aboutvashti has a spectacular aura about

You clearly laid out your needs the first time you broke up, and he didn't care enough to meet them. I'd say yes, this is a good time to call it off. Otherwise, you will be in the same place a year from now, only more deeply connected, so breaking off will be harder.
Unread November 17th, 2012, 11:50 AM   #6
Carnation
Instant Breakfast

Carnation has a reputation beyond reputeCarnation has a reputation beyond reputeCarnation has a reputation beyond reputeCarnation has a reputation beyond reputeCarnation has a reputation beyond reputeCarnation has a reputation beyond reputeCarnation has a reputation beyond reputeCarnation has a reputation beyond reputeCarnation has a reputation beyond reputeCarnation has a reputation beyond reputeCarnation has a reputation beyond repute

Some people can have a relationship where you don't see each other or speak for a couple days, some can't. Don't feel bad for not being able to not talk to him for days, and don't feel bad about knowing what you want. Dating is not only about getting to know someone more intimately, but finding out what you want and don't.

Personally I think you did the right thing. He wasn't a good match for you, so it's time you move on.

"Love is not an affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained."
-C.S. Lewis
Carnation is offline   Reply With Quote