Members: 15,707
Threads: 38,725
Online: 61

Newest Member: Felicia

Go Back   The Relationship Forums > The Relationship > Down in the Dumps

Notices

Down in the Dumps Breaking up is a difficult time. How does it go? Denial, Anger, acceptance? No... that's not it. Come to this forum to find out what it's really like.

Unread January 15th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #1
jmah

jmah is on a distinguished road
Default Why do some people feel the need to jump from one relationship to another?

It’s as though they have to be with someone, and when that doesn’t work, they move right onto the next; not giving themselves any “alone time”.
jmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread January 15th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #2
Pailix
Love Guru

Pailix has a spectacular aura aboutPailix has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Why do some people feel the need to jump from one relationship to another?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmah View Post
It’s as though they have to be with someone, and when that doesn’t work, they move right onto the next; not giving themselves any “alone time”.
Because they are hurt, or insecure, or very vulnerable, they have to have the need of being in an relationship so they can lick the wounds they were dealt, in my opinion.
Pailix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread January 15th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #3
davef
Flirtatious

davef can only hope to improve
Default Re: Why do some people feel the need to jump from one relationship to another?

It may depend on alot of reasons, it is hard to deal with this question in the hypothetical. How does this kind of thing relate to your life.
davef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread January 15th, 2009, 08:24 PM   #4
Gatsby

Gatsby is on a distinguished road

Some people cannot stand to be alone and must have the intimate bond of a relationship. That intimacy is usually more important than choosing the right person.
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread January 15th, 2009, 10:57 PM   #5
rodgerjones2
Casanova

rodgerjones2 is a name known to allrodgerjones2 is a name known to allrodgerjones2 is a name known to allrodgerjones2 is a name known to allrodgerjones2 is a name known to allrodgerjones2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pailix View Post
Because they are hurt, or insecure, or very vulnerable, they have to have the need of being in an relationship so they can lick the wounds they were dealt, in my opinion.

This is what I was going to say, generally people hop or "rebound" to another relationship because its there way of getting over somewhere. By changing people, they develop new feelings for them, and since theres only room for so much the old exit.
Everyone has there way to stop feelings for someone, for me the best way is just time, but not everyone has that.
rodgerjones2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread January 15th, 2009, 11:57 PM   #6
merker
Casanova

merker is just really nicemerker is just really nicemerker is just really nicemerker is just really nice

to be honest and to speak from experience, its a mixture of insecureness, lonelyness, hurt and upset...

lets say for me, what started it was years ago when i was in a year long relationship, i felt hurt when it ended, was truly devestated, but what helped was a week after started talking to new girls as friends, then 2 weeks on, i got with 1 of them partly cause it was a rebound thing but mainly cause it helped me forget about the other girl and the fact that i liked that girl,

then we ended a while later, and once again i did the same thing as before...

now i have been single 3 months :O... the longest time iv been single in about 4 years+.... and i am feeling it bad, like missing the last x more that i would with any others

i think it depends, if someone was in a long relationship and truly loved that person, the it ended and they moved into the next relationship, then it would posibly be a rebound thing/helping them forget and feel better

if the previous relationship wasnt a long 1 and the didnt truly love the person then it would be a "oh that didnt work, but i am ready for a relationship" kind of thing
merker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread January 16th, 2009, 12:42 AM   #7
Bad_day

Bad_day is on a distinguished road

I seriously do not get it, do they like the "break up" after every relationship? I see alot of these people, they're so happy when they're with someone, but at the same time they do not care so much since it's just "rebound" and not any real feeling.
Bad_day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread January 16th, 2009, 12:50 AM   #8
Panda
Part Time Philosopher

Status: Wondering how it could possibly get better than this
Panda has a reputation beyond reputePanda has a reputation beyond reputePanda has a reputation beyond reputePanda has a reputation beyond reputePanda has a reputation beyond reputePanda has a reputation beyond reputePanda has a reputation beyond reputePanda has a reputation beyond reputePanda has a reputation beyond reputePanda has a reputation beyond reputePanda has a reputation beyond repute

some people are just so desperate they'll take anything...

I know a girl who is so lonely, insecure, and generally blank, that she's slept with about three men on their first or second dates. Naturally, this didn't help her situation at all. Now she's dating some guy who just uses her for sex, and she;s content with it because she just doesn't know better. After her breakup though, she'll take anything I'm sure.

It's all to do with insecurity and not knowing what you want. When you know what you want, and you know you're worth it, you wait even if it's hard, for that next good thing to come along instead of just jumping on anyone who will give you time of day.

my opinion only
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread January 16th, 2009, 02:02 AM   #9
Kuky
Administrator

Kuky has a reputation beyond reputeKuky has a reputation beyond reputeKuky has a reputation beyond reputeKuky has a reputation beyond reputeKuky has a reputation beyond reputeKuky has a reputation beyond reputeKuky has a reputation beyond reputeKuky has a reputation beyond reputeKuky has a reputation beyond reputeKuky has a reputation beyond reputeKuky has a reputation beyond repute

Some people fear loneliness more than being miserable. It's kind of like how people fear public speaking more than they fear death.
Unread January 16th, 2009, 09:09 AM   #10
Alyxm

Alyxm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmah View Post
its called a rebound haha, normally its not really a looking for a relationship the partner that you speak of has broken up and left into another one straight away... Unfortunately the receiving party that is the rebound victim doesnt know any of their new found loves intentions, if the re-bound person has a brain/heart, they wont stay with the victim for a long period of time, just enough time to enjoy themselves sexually.
Alyxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread January 16th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #11
jmah

jmah is on a distinguished road

"It's all to do with insecurity and not knowing what you want."

I agree. I remember certain times throughout the relationship she had this strong fear that I was going to hurt her (leave her/cheat on her). She (unbenownst to me) had many issues (she kept a lot inside) and was afraid to open up to me about them; out of fear that she would scare me away. She still won't tell me about them. She would also say things like 'you're going to find my ways annoying at some point, I'm sure", and was worried that she was going to be "too clingy", and that she wasn't mature enough for me. She also said that at the very end after we had broken up, that she didn't think that she deserved me. Low self-esteem, seeking security and wanting to feel loved/wanted all came into play, I think. As soon as things weren't perfect between her and I, she went back to her ex. Apparently, she still had a strong emotional tie with her ex (the ex her repeatedly treated her badly in the past (emotional abuse)). The ex whom recently was 'reformed' and wanting my g/f back so desperately and whom went out of her way to prove that she had changed her ways (although, they're still fighting and according to my ex "not working on things"). There's a huge co-dependency thing between the two. I think that even though she did care about me, all that I provided at the time was a bit of security..

I've been played for a fool and it's hurt like a bitch.
jmah is offline   Reply With Quote