Members: 15,342
Threads: 38,075
Online: 42

Newest Member: AlinnSmith

Go Back   The Relationship Forums > The Relationship > The Chase

Notices

The Chase Places, People, Roses... everything involved in the dating game, as well as including that First Kiss and more! New home of FLIRTATION LOCATION and THE GAME

Unread April 12th, 2012, 04:22 PM   #1
Benjamin1
Flirtatious

Benjamin1 is on a distinguished road
Default Do you need your potential partner to challenge you?

When looking for a new partner, I sometimes feel the need to be challenged.
Like, have her coming for a rich family, or working on her Bachelors + having a decent job, etc.
While all I actually look for is someone with a good character (loyal, honest, educated with a job), and a of course some kind of physical attraction.

There's this new girl who comes from a lower class family, and isn't that beautiful, but she's a very good person, she works hard for her money, and likes studying, seems like a faithful person.

I just don't know if I even wanna have a first date with her.

You feel what I'm saying?
Does it make sense?

Last edited by Benjamin1; April 12th, 2012 at 04:32 PM..
Benjamin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread April 12th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #2
Drewcious281
St. Valentines

Drewcious281 is a splendid one to beholdDrewcious281 is a splendid one to beholdDrewcious281 is a splendid one to beholdDrewcious281 is a splendid one to beholdDrewcious281 is a splendid one to beholdDrewcious281 is a splendid one to beholdDrewcious281 is a splendid one to beholdDrewcious281 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Do you need your potential partner to challenge you?

Everyone has thier standards. I have some strict ass standards myself but if you like her and can see having feeling for her than why not atleast casually date her. Doesnt mean you have to marry her or start a relationship. Dont hold back just because she isnt 100% in your standards but at the same time dont go for it if you know nothing can come of it. Dont waste her or your time.

"My name isn't Willy Wonka , I don't sugar coat shit."

"Handle every situation like a dog. If you cant eat it or chew it. Pee on it and walk away"
Drewcious281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread April 12th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #3
Dagwood
St. Valentines

Dagwood has a reputation beyond reputeDagwood has a reputation beyond reputeDagwood has a reputation beyond reputeDagwood has a reputation beyond reputeDagwood has a reputation beyond reputeDagwood has a reputation beyond reputeDagwood has a reputation beyond reputeDagwood has a reputation beyond reputeDagwood has a reputation beyond reputeDagwood has a reputation beyond reputeDagwood has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure what you mean by the need to be challenged? Are you saying you feel like you need to be with girls who are rich and have a decent education?

I think you contradicted yourself, I would need better clarification before providing an opinion.
Unread April 12th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #4
Benjamin1
Flirtatious

Hi,
Please let me explain.

The last girl I was in relationship with (we're now in the "getting it over" stage, I'm waiting for her to come back from a family vacation), is rich, good looking, she has a very decent job and she works on her BA.
That really impressed me, and despite the fact that I suspected she's not a loyal person, I stayed with her, partially because of these virtues of her.
That "challenged" me, dating such girl.

However, the new girl comes from a lower class family, doesn't have a job to be proud of, and isn't that beautiful, but she has a very good character.
I don’t feel that challenged to "go and get her".

You see what I mean?
Unread April 12th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #5
stasia
Love Machine

stasia is a splendid one to beholdstasia is a splendid one to beholdstasia is a splendid one to beholdstasia is a splendid one to beholdstasia is a splendid one to beholdstasia is a splendid one to beholdstasia is a splendid one to behold

Having money and working on a degree aren't virtues but having good character is. Youre backward. Just wait till you find a girl you actually feel like going after.
stasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread April 12th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #6
janes

janes is on a distinguished road

i care about those things just to the point where he isn't a bum and he actually has some plans for the future. i don't care if he has a degree or not. being comfortable around each other and being able to have fun is more important than how successful your partner is. i'm married to a pretty ambitious man and i love that about him, but it's not a requirement i would set. in the end what gets you through is whether you're compatible emotionally and physically.
janes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread April 12th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #7
Dagwood
St. Valentines

Dagwood has a reputation beyond reputeDagwood has a reputation beyond reputeDagwood has a reputation beyond reputeDagwood has a reputation beyond reputeDagwood has a reputation beyond reputeDagwood has a reputation beyond reputeDagwood has a reputation beyond reputeDagwood has a reputation beyond reputeDagwood has a reputation beyond reputeDagwood has a reputation beyond reputeDagwood has a reputation beyond repute

You can't appreciate a person's character until you go through some shitty relationships. My first girlfriend was smokin' hot, but holy crap was she f'd up. My second girlfriend was more lower class family, decent job, but no self esteem and a negative personality. An improvement, but not quite there.

You're so called virtues are actually materials. Impressed by a rich family? How do you come to that conclusion??? She did nothing but become born. It may be fun to have flings with these type of people or non-serious relationships, but money and a good job are not going to buy energy, love and affection for you. Those are bred by character and personality.
Unread April 13th, 2012, 08:05 AM   #8
Welshie
St. Valentines

Welshie has a reputation beyond reputeWelshie has a reputation beyond reputeWelshie has a reputation beyond reputeWelshie has a reputation beyond reputeWelshie has a reputation beyond reputeWelshie has a reputation beyond reputeWelshie has a reputation beyond reputeWelshie has a reputation beyond reputeWelshie has a reputation beyond reputeWelshie has a reputation beyond reputeWelshie has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly. Most people when they are a kid say 'I'm going to marry a stunning and rich person" But both these things are material and mean nothing compared to their character and personality
Unread April 13th, 2012, 03:18 PM   #9
Benjamin1
Flirtatious

Guys, you were right, thanks!
I met her and it was a very nice date

The problem is that her dream is to immigrate to Canada in a few years, while I see myself spending my life here, so I'm afraid to get into relationship with her...
Unread April 13th, 2012, 03:23 PM   #10
Dagwood
St. Valentines

Just another incompatibility, and a big one after all....different approaches to life.
Unread April 13th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #11
Drewcious281
St. Valentines

Drewcious281 is a splendid one to beholdDrewcious281 is a splendid one to beholdDrewcious281 is a splendid one to beholdDrewcious281 is a splendid one to beholdDrewcious281 is a splendid one to beholdDrewcious281 is a splendid one to beholdDrewcious281 is a splendid one to beholdDrewcious281 is a splendid one to behold

Like stasia said. Your all backwards. Its not challenge its standards but take it from me its ok to challenge yourself and lower them once and a while and you may meet an amazing person. Now i will give almost anyone a chance of any background because you never know the real them until you give them a shot.

"My name isn't Willy Wonka , I don't sugar coat shit."

"Handle every situation like a dog. If you cant eat it or chew it. Pee on it and walk away"
Drewcious281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread April 13th, 2012, 07:58 PM   #12
DarkStar
Flirtatious

DarkStar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin1 View Post
Guys, you were right, thanks!
I met her and it was a very nice date

The problem is that her dream is to immigrate to Canada in a few years, while I see myself spending my life here, so I'm afraid to get into relationship with her...
Nice. Dreams can change but sometimes they may not. I've heard that Canada is actually a very nice place to live compared to the states. Well, you did say you wanted a challenge, right?
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread April 14th, 2012, 03:40 PM   #13
automorphism
Cupid

automorphism has a reputation beyond reputeautomorphism has a reputation beyond reputeautomorphism has a reputation beyond reputeautomorphism has a reputation beyond reputeautomorphism has a reputation beyond reputeautomorphism has a reputation beyond reputeautomorphism has a reputation beyond reputeautomorphism has a reputation beyond reputeautomorphism has a reputation beyond reputeautomorphism has a reputation beyond reputeautomorphism has a reputation beyond repute

I think having a partner that can challenge you is nice, but not necessary. There are certainly ways to challenge yourself, and it's harder than you might first think to find a decent, reasonable, and mature partner.

I don't see any harm in going after "challenging" girls especially if that's what you want. If you are in your twenties it's not something bad to do I think.

You should distinguish also between girls that are hard to get and girls that will just be difficult to get along with as well.
Unread April 14th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #14
yellow.rose
St. Valentines

yellow.rose has a reputation beyond reputeyellow.rose has a reputation beyond reputeyellow.rose has a reputation beyond reputeyellow.rose has a reputation beyond reputeyellow.rose has a reputation beyond reputeyellow.rose has a reputation beyond reputeyellow.rose has a reputation beyond reputeyellow.rose has a reputation beyond reputeyellow.rose has a reputation beyond reputeyellow.rose has a reputation beyond reputeyellow.rose has a reputation beyond repute

You're comparing apples to oranges. Apples: achievements, tangible results. Oranges: Personality traits.

Apples:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin1 View Post
coming from a rich family, Bachelors, having a decent job
Oranges:
Quote:
a good character (loyal, honest,).. she's a very good person, she works hard for her money, and likes studying, seems like a faithful person.
Decide what's truly important, the personality traits or the actual achievements she so far has under her belt. I'd say the personality traits are far more important. Someone with the talent and drive can achieve everything that "rich girl" has, and more. Whereas a rich girl with a Bachelor's may very well never achieve anything without productive personality traits.

That's like choosing a beautiful girl with no personality over one less good-looking whom you can actually connect with. Beauty, just like those traits you so admire like money, are fleeting without the personality traits to drive a person to achieve more.

To be perfectly blunt, I don't think your problem with this girl is her being lower class at all. I think it entirely has to do with her looks, that she isn't as attractive as the wealthier girl. That doesn't make you a bad person. However, let's call a spade a spade.

As to the title question (which is completely different than what you asked in your post), yes I need my partner to challenge me. Otherwise the relationship is dull and I won't respect him. However, "challenge me" means intellectually, philosophically etc. It does not mean coming from a certain background or having specific trophies on a shelf.
yellow.rose is offline   Reply With Quote