Members: 15,380
Threads: 38,196
Online: 35

Newest Member: flankt

Go Back   The Relationship Forums > The Relationship > The Chase > Dating Archive

Notices

Dating Archive Need to dig up past questions posted on the Dating Zone? Here's the place to look.

Unread June 8th, 2002, 11:56 AM   #21
super_chevy2000
St. Valentines

super_chevy2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that sometimes a girl can expect too much from a guy just because he's a guy so a guy should do all these sweet little things because he wants to do it and not because someone expects him to. A guy wanting to do these things is one of the things that makes them so special.
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Courier'><span style='colorurple'>When I look at you my heart skips one beat, but later that beat could mean a lifetime of tears wasted on something I knew I could never have.</span></span></span>
Unread June 9th, 2002, 10:47 AM   #22
Adonis
Love Machine

Adonis will become famous soon enough

girls just so do not appreciate people that do that kind of stuff anymore.. it's gotten to the point where if you stand up from the table when a girl leaves, they'll just look at you weird and ask, "uhh, what are you doing?"

i've also had girls that just refused to allow me pull out seats or hold doors for them.. goddamn it! girls are so hard to deal with!

"I ran up the door,closed the stairs,said my pajamas,and put on my prayers. Turned off the bed,and hopped into the light, all because you kissed me goodnight."

co-winner for best forum name~

I branded Goddess33's ass! Her ass is mine now
Look who's a Casanova now?

Update: Does anyone even remember Goddess33?
Unread June 9th, 2002, 06:07 PM   #23
Coyote Loco
Heart Breaker

Location: 2002 Dragoness Award Winner: Coolest | Funniest | Best Sense of Humor
Coyote Loco is an unknown quantity at this point

just little things here and there are wonderful.. the holding the door open bit is sweet... it's not something that needs to be done everytime because then it gets to be expected... but yeah...

Life is pain.
Love is pain.
You can't protect anybody from it.
It's always going to get you.
But sometimes life can also be good.
But you have to be open.
You have to take chances.
And most of all you just have to let go.
</span>
Unread June 9th, 2002, 10:27 PM   #24
Clive Sparrow
Flirtatious

Clive Sparrow is an unknown quantity at this point

I think too many people, or hell maybe it was just one reply I read a couple times, are assuming that girls don't like that stuff anymore. you really can't say that cause you don't know them all! maybe your experience with it hasn't been what you'd like it to be, but, I doubt there isn't one girl out there that doesn't appretiate that (did I word that right? hell, you know what I meant!) well, maybe we can safely say, we'd like to see a little better experience to lead us to believe otherwise, 'eh?
Unread June 10th, 2002, 03:51 PM   #25
Mooch
St. Valentines

Mooch is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I will first say that I think people should be polite, and that means whoever gets to the door first holds it open, etc. Pulling out a chair for someone seems dumb to me though, I would never do that...they're not that heavy people! I guess what I'm saying is I am generally nice and polite to people in general, but that's because I'm nice, and girls don't have a right to expect it.

Also, to me at least, the concept of "chivalry" goes hand in hand with sexism...and you can have it both ways. If you want guys to treat you like you're week and feeble and can't do things for yourselves (like open doors) (and this is where the concept of chivalry came from) then you can complain about not being considered by guys as equals in other respects. I'm not a sexist, and in all matters of life except who I date, I treat guys and girls equally. That means I expect them to be able to take care of themselves. And that means, pull out your own damn chairs.

Not trying to offend anyone here, but chivalry is sexism..and we won't get rid of sexism until we get rid of chivalry too.
Unread June 10th, 2002, 03:57 PM   #26
Scarlet Phlox

Scarlet Phlox is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
girls just so do not appreciate people that do that kind of stuff anymore.. it's gotten to the point where if you stand up from the table when a girl leaves, they'll just look at you weird and ask, "uhh, what are you doing?"
I was like that sometimes.....it just kinda made me feel helpless. I liked it most of the time, but I didn't see the point in waiting for my boyfriend to open doors for me when I got there first. The thing is, he really wanted to, and now that we've broken up, I miss his little acts of chivalry.
Unread June 10th, 2002, 04:25 PM   #27
Clive Sparrow
Flirtatious

Clive Sparrow is an unknown quantity at this point

Mooch had a good point up there. I mean, even though the thread is kinda about girls not appretiating it anymore or somethin like that, I think that people should be polite to people in general, it shouldn't just be limited to guys and girls. hell, with the whole door thing it's generally a trade off with me and my girlfriend, she always gets there first so she opens the first one and I open the second one, heh, it's not like they get mad if you miss a couple or something. and then Scarlet Phlox had another good point, I mean, sometimes you don't notice these things until after they are gone!
Unread June 11th, 2002, 11:11 AM   #28
Lone Wolf
Heart Breaker

Lone Wolf is on a distinguished road

somehow girl like this only on a theroetical level
they dream about the gentleman and stuff - or at least they complain about their b/f not being a gentleman and stuff

and then somehow, as soon as a girl gets that attention, it's not ok either...

world's weird...

Lone Wolf

"Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul."
Unread June 11th, 2002, 11:58 AM   #29
jungAH
St. Valentines

jungAH is an unknown quantity at this point

^

Yes, I laugh... cuz it's so true...ehhh..

Cuz you know I'd walk a thousand miles if I could juss see you...
If I could juss hold you... tonight
<span style='font-size:16pt;line-height:100%'>Dragoness Awards: Honourable Mention Nicest/Sweetest, Best Newbie, Most Obsessive, Biggest Spammer</span>
Unread June 11th, 2002, 12:18 PM   #30
Truth

Quote:
they dream about the gentleman and stuff - or at least they complain about their b/f not being a gentleman and stuff

and then somehow, as soon as a girl gets that attention, it's not ok either...

world's weird...

Lone Wolf
sooo true...so true...

Unread June 12th, 2002, 12:08 PM   #31
eatshit
Flirtatious

eatshit is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, yeah its nice for a guy to open doors and stuff for girls... and it usually makes us girls feel like we're kinda being looked after... guys should be appreciated for doing things like that... maybe girls should start doing stuff like that too, i dont think guys should have to pay for all a girlfriends' food and stuff, if gf and bf want to pay for each toher, they should take turns!
Unread June 13th, 2002, 01:09 AM   #32
Scarlet Phlox

Scarlet Phlox is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
i dont think guys should have to pay for all a girlfriends' food and stuff, if gf and bf want to pay for each toher, they should take turns!
But what if he won't let you?? Like he seriously WILL NOT LET YOU?
Unread June 13th, 2002, 02:26 AM   #33
ShRt SwEEt*n*SexY
Casanova

ShRt SwEEt*n*SexY is an unknown quantity at this point

i like a polite nice guy but the whole chivalry thing becomes asinine. it inevitably turns into the "whose penis is bigger contest" and really that becomes quite redundant.
" Love is different than you think. It's never in a song or on a TV screen. Love is harder than a word said at the right time and everything is alright. Love is different than you think" Caedmons Call
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for, and certain of what we cannot see" Hebrews 11:1
formerly grrr8614
Unread June 13th, 2002, 06:02 AM   #34
Deidre
May the best attitude win

Deidre has a reputation beyond reputeDeidre has a reputation beyond reputeDeidre has a reputation beyond reputeDeidre has a reputation beyond reputeDeidre has a reputation beyond reputeDeidre has a reputation beyond reputeDeidre has a reputation beyond reputeDeidre has a reputation beyond reputeDeidre has a reputation beyond reputeDeidre has a reputation beyond reputeDeidre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Then you surprise him, by showing up with something that's already paid for.

Quote:

and then somehow, as soon as a girl gets that attention, it's not ok either..
I never dreamed about someone who'd open doors for me, want to pay for me, pulls out my chair etc. I got one anyway and I don't complain about it (although I will complain, and loudly, about him wanting to pay me back for things I do for him... :P Why's he supposed to be the only one who's allowed to pay for things? ...he tends to end up paying me back anyway by treating me to the movies or whatever, anyway).
Unread June 13th, 2002, 10:11 AM   #35
hunny
Retired Staff Member

hunny is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah.... I once dated this super-polite guy.. he opened doors for me, including my car door when he took me out... sometimes there'd be a flower on the seat when he opened it.. how sweet! He always came to the door when he picked me up, and always walked me to my front door when he brought me home. Lit my cigarette for me (yeah, I smoked, so what?) and little things like that.
What a gentleman!
Oh, but he also turned out to be the biggest jerk I'd ever had the misfortune of getting mixed up with. So you can't always judge a decent guy by his manners. Sometimes it's just a front. Or at least it was in this case.
Damn... maybe I'm bitter but I think you GUYS are just as hard to deal with as girls.
Unread June 13th, 2002, 12:20 PM   #36
eatshit
Flirtatious

eatshit is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Quote:
Then you surprise him, by showing up with something that's already paid for.
hahah EXACTLY!!

i also dont think guys having manners is a requirement in a "dream guy" for ANY girl, its just a plus... and i guess just because a guy has good manners doesn't mean too much about his personality either...
Unread June 16th, 2002, 05:34 PM   #37
Sydney123456
I love you

Sydney123456 is on a distinguished road

I have a guy that waits on me hand and foot...yet when I flex my muscles and try to excercise my freedom, he lets me do so.

But...I like that treatment, always have. I try to pay for things, but he's stubborn and will never let me. When I think I get away with paying for something, he either sends me a letter with money in it, or he works at a bank so he transfers as little as $7 from his account to mine! BAH! It's a no win situation...but, I think it's cute. :P

He doesn't always pull out my chair for me which is great (he does it when we're someplace nice, or at a formal event...becuase the atmosphere is appropriate).

I like being babied...a great deal of the guys that I've liked do baby their girlfriends. The one that didn't was a completely lustful attraction... :-?

I'm still around! Did you miss me? (k)

Grade A Feminist- proud to say it!
Is my post grumpy? I probably have a lot of papers to grade!